Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing HighPoint Rocketraid 454

Beans

Angry Installing HighPoint Rocketraid 454

I am trying to install the HighPoint RocketRaid 454, and I am following this turorial: http://stefan.freyr.org/?page_id=6 however i am getting this error:
    root@Ubuntu-x64:/home/mballow223# cd /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374
    root@Ubuntu-x64:/home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374# make
    cp -f raid-x86_64.o raid.obj
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16 SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M] /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/hpt.o
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/hpt.c:1:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/hpt.c:161:
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:88: error: ‘MUTEX_LOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c: In function ‘scsicmd_buf_get’:
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:271: error: ‘struct scatterlist’ has no member named ‘page’
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:271: error: ‘OS_KMAP_TYPE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:271: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:271: error: for each function it appears in.)
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c: In function ‘hpt3xx_Detect’:
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:767: error: ‘SA_SHIRQ’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:767: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:768: error: ‘SA_INTERRUPT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:768: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c: In function ‘hpt3xx_Reset’:
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:837: error: ‘Scsi_Cmnd’ has no member named ‘pid’
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c: In function ‘fOsBuildSgl’:
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:1028: error: ‘struct scatterlist’ has no member named ‘page’
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c: In function ‘hpt_worker_thread’:
    /home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/entry.c:1226: warning: unused variable ‘sem’
    make[2]: *** [/home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374/hpt.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/mballow223/RocketRaid/hpt374] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16'
    make: *** [default] Error 2

Thanks for your help.

Beans

Re: Installing HighPoint Rocketraid 454

I managed to get my Highpoint Rocketraid 1520 working by following the advice on http://www.ubuntu-in.org/wiki/SATA_RAID_Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had a similar problem to the OP. I'm still looking for a solution. I dunno about that link on the wiki, that seems to be instructions for setting up software RAID. I know the 454 card kinda sucks, but I'm pretty sure it is a real hardware RAID controller.

Anyone know how to get that stupid driver to build?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

At the moment, your driver won't build with the 2.6.24 kernel. A few structs and header files have changed. Highpoint needs to update their driver.

For example:

- struct semaphore *tn;
    + struct completion *tn;

- up(&tn);
    + complete(&tn);

- down(&tn);
    + wait_for_completion(&tn);

- DECLARE_MUTEX_LOCKED(tn);
    + DECLARE_COMPLETION(tn);

- SA_INTERRUPT
    + IRQF_DISABLED

- SA_SHIRQ
    + IRQF_SHARED

just to name a few. you can change them in the entry.c, but it's a pain. If you have free time...
    Last edited by whatever69; May 16th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever69 View Post
    At the moment, your driver won't build with the 2.6.24 kernel. A few structs and header files have changed. Highpoint needs to update their driver.

For example:

- struct semaphore *tn;
    + struct completion *tn;

- up(&tn);
    + complete(&tn);

- down(&tn);

- SA_INTERRUPT
    + IRQF_DISABLED

- SA_SHIRQ
    + IRQF_SHARED

just to name a few. you can change them in the entry.c, but it's a pain. If you have free time...
    AHH now that explains a lot. Ok, thanks for the info. I wonder if I'd get anywhere by complaining to highpoint or if i'm just SOL for now

Thanks again,
    -T

Beans
    Distro

I would kindly remind them Copy paste some of these changes. I'm sure their developers will enjoy the little cheat sheet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Don't know if this is of any help for you, but I managed to compile the driver successfully in Gutsy (following stefan freyers howto). The difference was that I replaced linux.h with autoconf.h in hpt.c, and switched from the 2.6.22-14-server kernel to 2.6.22-14-386 in Gutsy. Was hoping to upgrade to Hoary soon, so if you manage to solve it I'd be happy to know

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatever69 View Post

For example:

- struct semaphore *tn;
    + struct completion *tn;

- up(&tn);
    + complete(&tn);

- down(&tn);

- SA_INTERRUPT
    + IRQF_DISABLED

- SA_SHIRQ
    + IRQF_SHARED

Can you name the rest so I can make the changes? I will then make the entry.c file available (and the compiled modules). I don't have the time, but I really need to get this card working and if that means manula entry then so be it....

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lutiana View Post
    Can you name the rest so I can make the changes? I will then make the entry.c file available (and the compiled modules). I don't have the time, but I really need to get this card working and if that means manula entry then so be it....

Thanks
    Sorry but naming the rest doesn't automatically mean it'll work. It just means it may compile. Either way, this is only if you want the proprietary driver from highpoint. Your card should've been picked up automatically by the Linux Kernel. please note that I have the 1640 card and my experience is only with that card.

Beans

Okay, so I emailed Highpoint and got this response:

from Support <support@highpoint-tech.com>
    to ******************
    date Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:16 AM
    subject Re: RocketRAID 454 (HPT374) Driver support

Hello,

Updates are still planned, but a release date has not been set.

Regards,

HighPoint Technologies, Inc.
    Customer Support Department

http://www.highpoint-tech.com
    http://www.hptmac.com
    So I have switched to a software Raid 5. I had to disable the raid in the RR454 bios for it to work properly and then I followed this tutorial:

Code:
    http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/software-raid-in-ubuntu/
    Only thing to note is his english is not very good and can be a little confusing, and when he tells you to use the cylinder size I recommend using the actually Byte size, since different manafacturers will have different cylinder counts to achieve the total size (should be typed in as +xxxxxxxK in fdisk).

He also uses reiserfs, but from what I gather this is not a good choice for ubuntu, but I have not played with this part too much yet.

He also does not tell you how to add the new raid to etc/fstab, but this site was very good to work out how to add it:

Code:
    http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html
    And lastly, once you have it all setup you check the partition and file system to make sure it is the right amount of space using the fs command (i have not tried it yet):

Code:
    http://www.computerhope.com/unix/udf.htm
    And lastly here is a page for more information on msadm
    Code:
    http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man8/mdadm.8.php
    Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast