Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Player won't run my dvd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Movie Player won't run my dvd

I have recently installed Ubuntu 10.04, and am trying to play a DVD on my Toshiba Notebook NB100. Movie Player says it cannot find the plugins suitable to play the DVD. I have gone through procedures recommended on numerous forums to get the codecs and libdvd packages installed but I still get a notice telling me MP doesn't have the plugins.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or take me through the correct procedure please? I am non-technical

Cheers,

Mike

Beans

Re: Movie Player won't run my dvd

Have you gone through the procedure on this page ?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

Try installing VLC, there won't be much that this application won't play.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, that contains details of one of the procedures I went through but it didn't solve the problem. I'm going to check out the other installation you suggest and I'll report back - thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried installing VLC but got the following error message: "Package dependencies cannot be resolved. This error could be caused by additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Alternatively, there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time"

This doesn't seem to me to be a particularly useful message. It doesn't indicate which of the possibilities is responsible (if any) nor what to do about it.

Is this something that is known about or is it specific to me?

I'm going to check on the internet to see if I can learn anything but I am now back at the start - can you offer any further help, please?

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have visited the VLC website and found the following information:
    Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS
    VLC version 1.0.6 in Ubuntu 10.04 is out-of-date. We recommend you install VLC 1.1.x manually. If you wish to install VLC 1.0.6 anyway, please refer to the instructions above for Ubuntu 10.10. Note that there will be some bugs; you are on your own.

I don't have Ubuntu 10.10 and my update manager has not shown it as available yet.

There are no instruction on how to install VLS manually. Are you able to tell me what to do on the basis of this information, please?

Thanks,

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Where did you try to install VLC from? You do not need the latest version either, 1.0.6 is fine.
    Try opening synaptic package manager and check you have the following installed:
    vlc
    libdvdread4
    libdvdnav4
    libdvdcss2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here's what I did to get DVD playback working on my system:

First open Synaptic Package Manager and install Ubuntu-restricted-extras. Then open up a terminal and execute the following:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Make sure any media players you have open are closed or you may get errors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i know you said you've gone through EVERY forum but I don't know what to refer you to other than this becuase this is what got DVD playback working for me it's the recommended tutorial for multimedia playback and much more.

check it bro you have to do some reading to get to dvd section or use ctrl F in firefox and search dvd until you get what your looking for but theres ALOT of good stuff in there that you really shouldn't over look like codecs, disabling mouse while typing(via terminal), and much other great stuff you should really look at blah blah here's the link... my dvd won't play give me the link and shut up i know i know..

Enabling DVD playback for
    Distribution: ALL VARIANTS

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Follow Directions and everything should work. You need an internet Connection for this EXCELLENT tutorial to work.

Enjoy your Movies

Recommendations:
    Please in VLC enable BLEND in the right click menu(look for it i forgot in wich category it's in) while a video is playing (if thats what your going to use for DVD playback)... that should smooth out most artifacts that you WILL get during playback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sure I haven't been to every forum but, as I said, I have visited numerous and followed any instructions that seemed relevant. It's quite likely I did't find and install everything I needed. However, the link you've provided looks pretty comprehensive and I'm logged into it on my Notebook so I can cut & paste relevant input for a terminal.

Just to be sure, shouild I do this with every item that looks relevant or are there some I should avoid?

One further thing, not exactly related, but when I install new software, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to call itt from (like the .exe file icons or START menu in Windows). What's the correct way to call an application in Ubuntu?

Thanks for your assistance on the Movie Player question.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sir_Robert007 wrote:
    "First open Synaptic Package Manager and install Ubuntu-restricted-extras. Then open up a terminal and execute the following:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Make sure any media players you have open are closed or you may get errors."

This was one of the things I did on my trip around the various forums but it didn't seem to do the trick

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast