Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New kde package manager - muon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

New kde package manager - muon

A few days ago Jonathan Thomas announced the new KDE package manager for Kubuntu named Muon . I installed it and tested . It is far better than kpackagekit . Gives accurate search results as well as resolves dependencies accurately . Many advanced features like downgrading packages, changing package sources while installing etc are in the road map . Jonathan plans to write a software center like app too
    I think in the future versions, Kubuntu will become a better implementation of KDE . What are your thoughts ?

Here's the announcement

Here's the ppa

Now it's in the beta stage . Final will arrive within 2 or 3 weeks I suppose . It is stable enough for everyday use now, in my opinion
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neoargon; July 31st, 2010 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: New kde package manager - muon

Beans

Thanks for posting. Sounds interesting!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Thanks for posting. Sounds interesting!
    Kpackagekit will not be sent to Trash until 11.04 . That's the bad thing

Beans

Thats great, I always installed synaptic on kubuntu :/ due to the confusing interface of kpackagekit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hm. I'm glad they have the categories here! May use it now, but the main feature I want is like in the Software Center, where it shows the actual GRAPHICAL ICON of the program next to the name, so first of all you know it's a program, not just a package, and second of all it's more recognizable.

Seriously, this is the real problem that has arisen with KPackagekit's implementation.

To be totally honest, I support Packagekit all the way in its goals to unify everything, and I think it does a great job so far, but the interface is preventing its adoption. It's sad, since from a technical point of view Packagekit is the best thing ever. But visually it's just not there AT ALL.

How hard would it be for the devs to make categories and include icons? Seriously, is it really that hard to code? This is just obvious, it's been that way with Add/Remove forever. What's taking so long??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    Hm. I'm glad they have the categories here! May use it now, but the main feature I want is like in the Software Center, where it shows the actual GRAPHICAL ICON of the program next to the name, so first of all you know it's a program, not just a package, and second of all it's more recognizable.

Seriously, this is the real problem that has arisen with KPackagekit's implementation.

To be totally honest, I support Packagekit all the way in its goals to unify everything, and I think it does a great job so far, but the interface is preventing its adoption. It's sad, since from a technical point of view Packagekit is the best thing ever. But visually it's just not there AT ALL.

How hard would it be for the devs to make categories and include icons? Seriously, is it really that hard to code? This is just obvious, it's been that way with Add/Remove forever. What's taking so long??
    A software center like app is planned . But the work will be started only after the stable version of muon is released .

It is easy to find the package that is the application . To install firefox, install the package named firefox alone ie without dbg, bin etc
    Last edited by neoargon; July 31st, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm liking this new project! I can't believe I skipped over it previously while looking at Planet KDE.

It's a shame this can't be used on other KDE distributions, such as OpenSUSE. But this is great news for Kubuntu.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Judging by the screenshot, it seems that there is no "installed size" or "download size" columns...

If they can manage to bring those in, that would be awesome...
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Installed size and download size are indeed present, but just not in that screenshot. They are in the "Technical Details" tab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast