Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

Beans

No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

Ubuntu 9.10 will not boot! System froze this morning, I restarted and it is now failing to boot. Starts loading grub and I get this message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    mount: mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/04aa3697-7bc0-45b5-b86a-77a1e6534bd5 on /root failed: invalid argument
    mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: no such file or directory
    mount: mounting /dev on /root/sys failed: no such file or directory
    mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: no such file or directory
    mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: no such file or directory
    Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
    No init fount. Try passing init= bootarg.

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of build in commands

(initramfs)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I booted with 9.04 LiveCD discovered the drive could not be mounted-ran fsck -ln and it told me the drive has no valid partition table. I have had intermittent problems mounting flash drives before this, so I'm kind of worried it might be a hardware issue.

Also have files on that drive I would rather not lose, so reinstalling is hopefully a last resort.

I'm something of a n00b and still trying to learn, any help would be much appreciated!

Beans

Re: No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

I'm having a similar problem, although the performance of my system has been flakey for a few days; with lock-outs particularly when I'm watching online video.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnerskine2010 View Post
    I'm having a similar problem, although the performance of my system has been flakey for a few days; with lock-outs particularly when I'm watching online video.
    Hi, I'm new to ubuntu 9.10 (about a month) and I have the same problem. I was watching live sports video on myp2p and after this computer started not responding well (couldn't open firefox and other programs) and when I restart I saw the screen with the (initramfs) at the bottom. I tried use the fsck command (fixed a problem at the past) but seems not right. Search on google but only thing I found -and understand- was that computer can't find the proper file to boot, I think this is /dev/sda1. Says that there is no such file or directory. Maybe a grub problem? Try to fix this using live CD and terminal by giving commands found on internet to restore or update grub but nothing happened. Don't want to format and re-install ubuntu so any advice?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnerskine2010 View Post
    Hey, I used terminal on liveCD and command: sudo fsck /dev/sda1 a couple of times. First time said something about an error or problem - I don't remember- but the second time it started fix things -pushed (y) button a lot of times- and now I'm about to restart. Hope everything is all right. I'll be back to post the results.

Beans

I am having the same problem. I have used the blkid command and notice that the UUID's listed in the grub menu are the same as those used for sda1.

I do not understand. The initial install was fine. When i did the upgrade and rebooted this is when the problems as listed above started.

I have deleted and reinstalled several times. The first upgrade and boot is when it starts for me.

I am not sure what else I can do.

I have been doing some reading.... ACPI is now used on newer ubuntu distributions I needed to edit my bios so that all is well. ACPI needs to be turned on and set to S3 (suspend to Ram). Before was on S1
    Last edited by kingjm; January 26th, 2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bazio101 View Post
    Hey, I used terminal on liveCD and command: sudo fsck /dev/sda1 a couple of times. First time said something about an error or problem - I don't remember- but the second time it started fix things -pushed (y) button a lot of times- and now I'm about to restart. Hope everything is all right. I'll be back to post the results.
    Thanks for the tips bazio.

I have had the same problem, but it solved just now. What I did was:

Boot into Live-CD, open terminal and run:

Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/sda3
    sudo fsck /dev/sda4
    Where my /Root is in sda3, and /Home is in sda4. There was a few issuse while fsck checking, and I just press 'Y' for yes, for it to fix the problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

Opening with LiveCD and running *(See Note)
    Code:
    fsck -y /dev/sda1
    would likely work best here and did for me.

I used SystemRescueCD because I have both i386 & amd64 architectures and Ubuntu LiveCD must match the architecture requiring two separate CDs for me. SystemRescueCD does not require two separate CDs for different architectures.

If your Ubuntu LiveCD boots on your computer, then just go to terminal and type *(See Note)
    Code:
    fsck -y /dev/sda1
    * Note: Change "/dev/sda1" for your appropriate root partition. Cannot track down how best to ID your root partition, but some commands are:
    • cfdisk
    • sfdisk -l
    • fdisk -l
    These commands need to be run as sudo under normal Ubuntu (without LiveCD), but may or may not need to be run with LiveCD.

Does anyone know of a good page which explains simply to locate someone's root partition?

Beans

Thanks Every one!

For some reason my Ubuntu 10.04 lost the option to reboot or shut down, when I clicked the little box with shutdown or restart it popped up blank.So after doing the cardinal computer sin of just pressing the off button for 4 seconds, it would not reboot and had the error "No init found. Try passing init=bootarg."
    Followed:
    fsck -y /dev/sda1
    After booting to 10.04 cd, went to terminal and typed sudo -s then the command above. Only had to type "yes" once the terminal screen filled up with "Y" 's re-booted and all was good. Thanks everyone so much, had the problem fixed in approx 30 minutes.

Pete
    Rock On!

Beans

Please help me too. My thread is at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1606975 . I have no clue about how to fix this.

Beans

Hi,

Well, Im using Ubuntu for few months, everything was goign very smoothly until this morning...this message appeared :

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
    No init fount. Try passing init= bootarg.

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of build in commands

(initramfs)

..No idea how it happend, or what to do. The sytem wont just launch, I do not have the copy of Ubuntu CD, my friend installed a clean legal version for me, but went back to USA with original CD.

Anyway can it be fixed without CD ?

Thank you.

Michael

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast