Thread: Missing Volume Control

Beans

Missing Volume Control

The volume control app has disappeared from the panel. I have checked under the "add to panel" option the there is nothing for volume control or similar. I do have the notification area there but there and ive removed and re-added it. I tried running "gnome-volume-control-applet" in terminal and it says it is not installed. I can control the volume with my remote and with the knob on my keyboard. But it seems to have vanished from the notification area.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Missing Volume Control

Strange. I know that in Karmic the volume control is no longer an independent applet on the panel and instead runs in the systray or "notification area" if you will. Looks like it loads in the startup applications.

But if I kill it I can run gnome-volume-control-applet and it comes back. A "which gnome-volume-control-applet" reveals
    Code:
    /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control-applet
    If you don't have it there maybe you need to reinstall whatever source package puts it there?

Beans

Any idea what i would re reinstalling? I tried installing gnome-volume-control-applet but it doesnt exist. I also tried searching through synaptic but didnt see anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It is in the gnome-media package. You should know that in Karmic, the Gnome volume control only woks with pulse-audio, so if you have removed pulse-audio like I have, you will have to use alsa mixer to control the volume.

Beans

God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

I havent removed pulse audio so i will try reinstalling gnome-media and see if it comes back