Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibex: The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed

Beans

Ibex: The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed

Hi,

I have just done a routine update of Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10

After the first reboot when using Gnome you receive this error message:

(Just after playing Gnome startup sound)

The screen is blanked out (cursor is still visible), which did not happen before, and this error message pops up.

"The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator."

Only the message was visible, and the rest of gnome was not visible and usable.

Thinking that the problem was with the gnome-power-manager I attempted this:

"apt-get --reinstall install gnome-power-manager"

Now the behaviour is as follows, I log into Gnome, I hear the startup sound, the screen blanks with the cursor still not visible. Gnome is still not usable.

Regards
    Richard Wooding
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Ibex: The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed

Posting here because I think we're both needing the same thing. I'm trying to reinstall the gnome-power-manager for a different reason. I can't do `dpkg --configure` or `dpkg --purge` because of dependancies of the desktop.

I imagine I could install kde, then purge/reinstall the gnome stuff, but I'm hoping there is another option?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ibex: The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed

I just received two new Dell Mini 9's, yesterday and have been trying to do a clean install of Ubuntu 8.10 on them, using a USB jump drive....and I'm getting the same error when I try to install. At the moment, I'm stuck with the Dell version of Ubuntu 8.04. That's not good, as none of the Ubuntu repositories work, so I can't install packages I want, either.

When I attempt a fresh install, I am able to choose the install language, then as I try to move to the next step, I get the same error, then a black screen, just with the mouse pointer.

Has anyone figured a way around this issue? Or a way to do a fresh install?

Thanks,
    zenarcher
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 256MB
    DellSP2009W

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have also been hit by this issue. I just went through the Wubi install on my hp mini 1030 NR to set up dual boot with Windows XP. Luckily, have not configured all that much since install (been less than a day). I was installing Adobe Flash through FireFox when my system locked up. The only way to do anything (as far as this newbie could tell) was to power cycle.

My experience is the same with the blank screen but for the cursor and error messages. I also had messages for update notifier and evolution-alarm-notifier tcp/ip errors.

If I was more savvy, more invested, or patient I would seek help - but I am pursuing a fresh install as i type from my Macbook

Beans

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    fixed it for me.

Beans

I was getting configuration defaults not set for gnome-power-manager errors and it would hang when i tried to shutdown. So i tried to reinstall the g-p-m pkg and that didn't work cause it errored when it was trying to do the config so i tried to reinstall the gnome-session and g-p-m and now its really broken. I can't log in unless under gnome-fail safe session when i log in it just hangs. and if i do dpkg --configure -a it errors saying it can't do anything about g-p-m, gnome-session, and ubuntu-desktop cause there are dependency errors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Start in recovery mode and at the menu drop to a root prompt, then type:

Code:
    dhclient eth0
    substitute your network device for eth0. Now that you have network access at the prompt type:

Code:
    apt-get install -f
    this should update some missing dependencies. Once the command has finished at the prompt type:

Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    Hopefully the upgrade wiil finish this time.

If you have any more errors you may have to do the above again.

Jim

Beans

hi all!!!!!!!am new to ubuntu
    am also getting the same error even after tried wit cariboo907 commands
    help me regarding tis problem

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icheyne View Post
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    fixed it for me.
    I also got the error message and was not able to bring up firefox or pidgin... this fixed my issue too. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icheyne View Post
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    fixed it for me.
    thank you man!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast