Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Webcam driver update for Ubuntu-8.10

Beans

Talking Re: Webcam driver update for Ubuntu-8.10

Hi Guys,

I had mega problems like you are having and found this site: http://packages.medibuntu.org/
    download and install the packs you need and I hope it will fly for you as well.Specially for skype, I could use ekiga and cheese but not skype, now deinstall the skype you got and install it from there you need common first and then skype.
    Last edited by wonderer; January 27th, 2009 at 07:30 AM.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Webcam driver update for Ubuntu-8.10

Check my post #241 on this forum.

Beans

Re: Webcam driver update for Ubuntu-8.10

To echo MTHarden's question in post #240

"Which Webcams do just work?"

I am in the fortunate position of having no webcam at all at the moment - so all I want to know is the name / model of an OK 1.3 Mega Pixel camera that will work with Ubuntu 8.10 (Skype etc) out-of-the box.

Does anyone have a list of known good webcams ?

It appears that buying the wrong kit can lead to a lot of messing about.

Any suggestions appreciated ?

Beans

OK then, to provide "an answer" to the question above - I can confirm that the Logitech QuickCam E3500 does work straight out of the box with the troublesome Ubuntu 8.10. Skype picks it up without any issues whatsoever which seems to be the acid test according to other forums and posts. Mine cost £13 from Amazon.co.uk but other on-line retailers are available.

I have heard good things about the Logitech range generally w.r.t compatibility but can't confirm that any other model will definitely work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb Re: Webcam driver update for Ubuntu-8.10

Quote Originally Posted by eddielad View Post
    OK then, to provide "an answer" to the question above - I can confirm that the Logitech QuickCam E3500 does work straight out of the box with the troublesome Ubuntu 8.10. Skype picks it up without any issues whatsoever which seems to be the acid test according to other forums and posts. Mine cost £13 from Amazon.co.uk but other on-line retailers are available.

I have heard good things about the Logitech range generally w.r.t compatibility but can't confirm that any other model will definitely work.
    Sorry, I have been busy making money for free. Well actually with out having to work for money. Please see my web page for more info.

In regards to known working web cams? please see this link.
    http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

Beans

works for logitech quickcam communicate STX

Thank You!!! My skype is working with my logitech quickcam communicate STX! after at least 6 other suggestions from other pages, yours was the one that worked!

(see post #241)

Beans

Hey linuxdragon,

I just bought a Dynex webcam and I can not get anything to acknowledge it in ubuntu 8.10. I am a complete noob with all this too. Do you know where I should start?

Thanks, Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wonderer View Post
    Hi Guys,

I had mega problems like you are having and found this site: http://packages.medibuntu.org/
    download and install the packs you need and I hope it will fly for you as well.Specially for skype, I could use ekiga and cheese but not skype, now deinstall the skype you got and install it from there you need common first and then skype.
    Thanks wonderer, I was having trouble with the latest Skype (2.1something) and your tip (going back to the 2.0 version in Medibuntu) fixed all cam (Logitech QuickCam Communicator STX) problems for me too!

Golden!

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425