Page 39 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers!?!?

Hi,

I need some help. As most of people here, I've got a sis video card and get anything more than 800x600 (I can get 1024x768 on vesa, but it's not good enough).

I did everything step by step as given a few posts above (and in hundreds of other places over the internet) and there's nothing that helped me.

When using this default settings generated by Xorg, I get message
    "No valid modes found - check VertRefresh/HorizSync"
    I put the drives from that page already in binaries. When I try to compile (on configure) them by myself I get:
    checking for XORG... configure: error: Package requirements (xorg-server >= 1.0.99.901 xproto fontsproto xf86dgaproto ) were not met:

No package 'xorg-server' found
    No package 'fontsproto' found
    No package 'xf86dgaproto' found
    Of course xorg-server is not available in repo (or is it?), because it's called xserver-xorg or something.

I've got Asus K50C and will be happy for any help I can get. I would send you any output you want if that's gonna help. Just let me know what to start with. Write here or via pm, we can also talk on skype or some other IM (my other computer with kubuntu works perfect).

UPDATE: and yeah, I've tried cvt, gtf, counting the refresh rates, etc. and none worked for me. Maybe you've got something better. I know some people have managed to get this working. I've got readable tty so far.

Once it runs, I'll post my solution wherever I can to help others.

Thanks so much community for continuous help!
    Last edited by dekoderek; May 1st, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it's only the problem of the VertRefresh/HorizSync in xorg.conf. Have a look here;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76387
    Although The link to the modeline generator is down on that page; You can follow the rest of the instructions using this generator instead.

http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
    Last edited by mhgsys; May 1st, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
    When your thread it solved: go to thread tools > Mark this thread as solved
    for SIS 771/671 use xcompmgr to have transparent terminals. just load it at startup.

And then they asked: what's a pbkac error?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dekoderek View Post
    Hi,

I need some help. As most of people here, I've got a sis video card and get anything more than 800x600 (I can get 1024x768 on vesa, but it's not good enough).

I did everything step by step as given a few posts above (and in hundreds of other places over the internet) and there's nothing that helped me.

When using this default settings generated by Xorg, I get message
    "No valid modes found - check VertRefresh/HorizSync"
    I put the drives from that page already in binaries. When I try to compile (on configure) them by myself I get:
    checking for XORG... configure: error: Package requirements (xorg-server >= 1.0.99.901 xproto fontsproto xf86dgaproto ) were not met:

No package 'xorg-server' found
    No package 'fontsproto' found
    No package 'xf86dgaproto' found
    Of course xorg-server is not available in repo (or is it?), because it's called xserver-xorg or something.

I've got Asus K50C and will be happy for any help I can get. I would send you any output you want if that's gonna help. Just let me know what to start with. Write here or via pm, we can also talk on skype or some other IM (my other computer with kubuntu works perfect).

UPDATE: and yeah, I've tried cvt, gtf, counting the refresh rates, etc. and none worked for me. Maybe you've got something better. I know some people have managed to get this working. I've got readable tty so far.

Once it runs, I'll post my solution wherever I can to help others.

Thanks so much community for continuous help!
    checkout my blog: http://tpurch-blog.blogspot.com

I have modified the driver to support the ASUS X5DC Laptop...it may work for you too......

Note: the driver is currently only for Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) it will not work on Lucid at the moment.

I hope this helps!

Regards

Terry
    check out my linux blog here

Beans
    Distro

@purct, thanks, but I use Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for replying to my own message.

I tried most the things I found in the other post you sent and nothing helped. I also tried this modeline generator and the result was:

* for sis671 - the was trying to start but seemed like couldn't run but it didn't work.
    * for vesa when I put vertrefresh/horizsync (any random from net) it works 1024x768
    * for vesa without these values I get 800x600
    * for sis (what ever I put there) it always says no devices found

At all points modelines seem to be ignored (like I said in my original post I used some system modeline generators).

I just tried many, many combinations and nothing.

Thanks!

And I'll problably try with those drivers for 9.04. Just to be sure.

UPDATE to not reply again to myself:

I couldn't compile drivers for the same reason as before - it requires server-xorg and the compiled version gives me this:

(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sis671_drv.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "sis671"
    (EE) Failed to load module "sis671" (loader failed, 7)
    (EE) No drivers available.

Which is probably because I've got 10.04, not 9.whatever.

So far nothing.
    Last edited by dekoderek; May 1st, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dekoderek View Post
    @purct, thanks, but I use Ubuntu 10.04
    ok....at the moment your not likely to find a driver that works for your laptop(but check Xorg.0.log to see if it suffers from the same problem as X5DC). I had to modify the driver special timings to get it working with ASUS X5DC on 9.10.

If your log shows something similar to this :

(--) SIS(0): Detected LCD/Plasma panel (max. X 0 Y 0, pref. 0x0, RGB24)

then EDID information is either wrong or corrupt in someway(same as mine), there doesn't appear to be away to over-ride it! Defining new modes won't work because it thinks your panel is 0x0.

When I get time I plan to modify the latest driver src of sisimedia driver to support the X5DC, for support on 10.04 (I believe that it will work for your K50C as well but can't be sure!).

Thanks & Regards

Terry
    check out my linux blog here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by purct View Post
    ok....at the moment your not likely to find a driver that works for your laptop(but check Xorg.0.log to see if it suffers from the same problem as X5DC). I had to modify the driver special timings to get it working with ASUS X5DC on 9.10.
    I installed the compiled driver (32bit version) in the folder and put your xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. Some options should be probably changed but at this point I guess there's no use since the driver won't load in the first place.

I uploaded my log to http://download.dekoderek.net/sis-on...rct/Xorg.0.log and there's:
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sis671_drv.so: undefined symbol: resVgaIoShared
    Quote Originally Posted by purct View Post
    When I get time I plan to modify the latest driver src of sisimedia driver to support the X5DC, for support on 10.04 (I believe that it will work for your K50C as well but can't be sure!).
    It would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is it OK to remove HAL with the cards?
    Do not PM for Support.
    Ubuntu Austria LoCo Admin
    Projects: Connary Internet Browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi !
    I just wanna say thank you so very much for the brilliant step-by-step guide to fixing my graphics issues. I got some trouble trying to get the new driver, but I figured that somehow the xorg.conf.new was not replacing the xorg.conf file after typing the commands in the guide, so I just copied the file myself - so it replaced the original xorg.conf - and voilà!

Thans so very much.

Beans

Hi there!
    I'm new here, but I had read the page 37-39, and I didn't find the answer. How can I fix my driver for 64bit Lucid. I try follow step by step these guide but for me it didn't work. I think this is the relevant piece from xorg.0.log.

(II) LoadModule: "sis671"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sis671_drv.so
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sis671_drv.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sis671_drv.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "sis671"
    (EE) Failed to load module "sis671" (loader failed, 7)
    (EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Thank you for your help!

Page 39 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast