Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 with Marvell Yukon 88E8040T

Beans

Angry Ubuntu 8.04 with Marvell Yukon 88E8040T

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop which has Marvell Yukon 88E8040T network controller (wired LAN). It seems neither sky2 not skge driver works.
    Tried to download driver from Marvell website, the install.sh doesn't work at all (after changing to bash).
    Now I am swamped, did anybody have the same experiences, please help!
    Thank you.
    BTW, lspci snippet below:
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4355 (rev 12)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 with Marvell Yukon 88E8040T

Hello,
    I had the same problem and just fixed it.
    You have to install the ubuntu kernel sources (package 'linux-source'). After extracting the archive which is in the '/usr/src' directory, you have to modify the 'skge.c' file which is in the 'driver/net/' subdirectory. You have to add the following line :
    { PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_MARVELL, 0x4355) },
    in the table named 'skge_id_table' (around line 80). Then compile and install the kernel and its modules... it should work.
    Hope it was clear enough.

Jean-Baptiste

Edit : I did a mistake on the file to modify. See next post to know which one you have to modify.
    Last edited by jeanbaptiste; May 27th, 2008 at 08:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry I did a mistake... it isn't the 'skge.c' file you have to modify. You have to add the following line :
    { PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_MARVELL, 0x4355) }, /* 88E8040 */
    in the 'sky2.c' file (same directory).
    You should add it in the table named 'sky2_id_table' which starts around line 102.
    The skge modification resulting from attempt to solve my problem and didn't work.
    Sorry again.

Jean-Baptiste

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Jean-Baptise -

Thank you - it worked.

Your explanation, albeit clear, was rather terse, so I will describe into somewhat more detail what I did to get it going. I am not familiar with kernel building and things related, and I figure there are more people like me. Anybody who wants to comment on my doings, please feel free.

I used the following page for information about building a kernel:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

First, I followed the instructions to make sure that the right tools were installed:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot build-essential
    Then I obtained the most recent kernel source using git, which must be installed first:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core
    After installing git, I did:

Code:
    git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-hardy.git ubuntu-hardy
    and

Code:
    git pull
    which did not seem to be needed.

Than I changed into the directory with the sources (in my home directory):

Code:
    cd ~/ubuntu-hardy/
    and modified the code according to your instructions:

Code:
    gedit drivers/net/sky2.c
    Navigated to line 122 and inserted jeanbaptiste's addition after it (note that I changed the comment - 0x4354 is alreay there and has 88E8040 as comment (without T). I made sure to insert the line at the right place, between 0x4354 and 0x4356 because I don't know if the table is supposed to be sorted.

Code:
    { PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_MARVELL, 0x4355) }, /* 88E8040T */
    After that I compiled the kernel, but than I found out that the default procedure builds all possible flavours, so I stopped it and instead issued the command:

Code:
    AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs flavours=generic
    which I found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=607797

After the build was ready, there were several *.deb files in the parent directory of ubuntu-hardy. Using nautilus, I double-clicked on:

Code:
    linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb
    and ignored the message "You likely do not want to install this package directly."

After that, I rebooted, choose my new kernel from the grub list and found that I had a /dev/eth0.

I also found out that my sound is not working anymore, but I can live with that. I hope jeanbaptiste's patch will make it soon to the official ubuntu kernel.

Beans

Hi guys, I've found your posts very interesting 'cause I have the some problem with Marvell (I've got a Toshiba A300 laptop with Kubuntu 8.04).

I've tried to use Marvell Drivers but I can't install them (It says there's a mismatch between linux kernel and headers )

I'm a newbie and I can't connect to internet, for these reasons I'd prefer to avoid to compile-install kernel way.
    It would so long to me manually install all the necessary packages and also I'm not sure to be able to ...not damage the kernel!

My question is: is there any other way to make my ethernet card work?
    Is there any other suitable driver for Marvell Yukon 88=8040T

Thank you so much

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@ pmasereeuw :
    > I also found out that my sound is not working anymore, but I can live with that. I hope jeanbaptiste's patch will make it soon to the official ubuntu kernel.

I had the same problem. If you have the same audio chip than me, you just have to add the Intel HDA driver in your kernel (SND_HDA_INTEL flag).

@ sophie27 :
    Sorry but the only way I have found to allow the 88E8040T to work was to rebuild my kernel with the patch. Maybe the next Ubuntu kernel will include the patched driver...

Jean-Baptiste

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HI Jean-Baptise,

Never mind the sound. I don't use it when I need the wired connection, because that's in the office.

I just redid your guidelines for the new official kernel (2.6.24-20) and it still works.

I am just wondering if you or I could help sophie27 by sending her the *.deb packages that come from the compilation. I have no other experience with home-compiled kernels, so I don't know if this would bring her into other troubles. Perhaps you could give your opinion as the expert...

Best,

Pieter

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

Thank you Pieter for the redirection on the kernel list.

Sophie27, I will try do build a kernel package for you, but I'm not used to do kernel package... it may take few days to do so.
    By the way I would like to warn you about the potential risk to install a kernel package (and by extension any other package) which come from any non-official source. Some people may introduce malicious code in those packages.
    To build the kernel I need to know what sort of processor you have (32 or 64 bit).

Jean-Baptiste

Beans

I have the same problem : I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop, and have installed Ubuntu on it. But Ubuntu doesn't find the Ethernet controller (a Marvell Yukon 88E8040T too). But my Internet connexion passes through this Ethernet Controller. So, I can't go and find packages ... Thank for your help !

Beans

Hi!
    Some other friend suggest me to wait for the next Ubuntu kernel...
    However It could be interesting to try with you kernel package, jeanbaptiste!
    If you can do it, It would be great.(
    My processor is 64 bit.)
    But which are exaclty the risks in installing that? I mean, if the worst risk is that my ubuntu has to be reinstalled, it is ok; if there's the risk I all my computer, maybe it would be better to wait...

thanx so much!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast