Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

I can verify that this works on my ASUS AMD X2 4200+ with 8600GT when using all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll. After that I don't need to do anything else once Ubuntu is installed.

Beans

Red face Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Well I had the same probems last night trying to install 8.04. Got dumped to the busy box every time. I'll try the command line tags suggested above.

It's a pity there's such a widespread problem with this distriution as it may be enough to put off a less technically savvy person from trying Linux. I'm pissed off with windows sapping my computers resources and I really don't like vista so i'm prepared to put the work in to get linux going.

I do have a copy of 7.10 that i haven't used yet so i could try that and upgrade.

Beans

After lot of tests i managed to install HH on an 120gb ide hdd and it works flawlessly. the thing is that i can't get into my windows xp installation. if i choose "Windows XP Professional" from the GRUB menu i get a message like "selected disk can not be found". ubuntu starts from sd (0,0) hdd, how can i get grub to load windows as well? the hard disk (sata) where windows are installed is sdc1. what do i have to add on menu.lst. any ideas?

Beans

Thanks Jong!

I was able to boot the LiveCD and install Hardy 8.04 on my machine with the help of those kernel parameters. For reference, my specs are:

Asus P5NSLI
    Intel E6600
    2 Seagate SATA HDD
    Nvidia 8800GTS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avenger3000 View Post
    After lot of tests i managed to install HH on an 120gb ide hdd and it works flawlessly. the thing is that i can't get into my windows xp installation. if i choose "Windows XP Professional" from the GRUB menu i get a message like "selected disk can not be found". ubuntu starts from sd (0,0) hdd, how can i get grub to load windows as well? the hard disk (sata) where windows are installed is sdc1. what do i have to add on menu.lst. any ideas?
    I suggest you create a new thread for that issue as it's quite off topic here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" options does not work for me, all the time I end up in the initramfs + busybox.

I tried also changing the IDE/AHCI -> RAID, but it doesn't work.

My configuration:
    Intel C2Duo 6300
    MB MSI P965 Platinum
    HDD SATA
    DVD-WR Primary IDE.
    Last edited by vlgligor; April 29th, 2008 at 08:16 AM.

Beans

i tried some combinations of
    Code:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll
    but it doesn't work for my system. currently the only solution for me is to switch sata mode in bios/IDE Config from AHCI to RAID.
    i tested the following:
    with live cd:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll
    floppy=off
    all_generic_ide floppy=off
    irqpoll

i also removed my dvd burner from the primary ide master and my dvd drive from the secondary ide master and tried to boot the previously installed ubuntu (installed with sata raid mode) with ahci mode with no success.

my system as previously mentioned:
    asrock 775 twins hdtv r2.0 with bios 2.10 (floppy disabled),
    intel pentium d 805, 2x1GB DDR2 667 RAM, 2 x sata seagate barracuda 7200.10 320 GB 16MB on SATA1 und SATA2.

Beans

i havent or cant recall posting on this forum for a long time.
    but i gotta chime in now and say, i've been very disappointed in the last two releases of ubuntu. i never had to jump through hoops to get ubuntu installed like i have with 7x and now 8x. its just sad.

that being said.. i just got the live cd to boot finally after using a great many of the start up commands suggested in this and other threads.
    what ultimately worked for me was adding:
    nolapic acpi=off irqpoll
    after hitting F6 i hit the END key, i delete the quiet splash -- and put the above commands in its place.

which iirc was the exact string i had to use to install 7x on my box.

my specs are a Xeon 3220 @3.2ghz on an ip35 pro with 4 gigs of OCZ ram.

hope this helps someone out there.. cheers.

Beans

I haven't managed to get Hardy to run on my desktop pc. The live CD however runs on my works laptop and everything works as far as i could see from a quick test this morning.

I have a different issue with 7.10 where the live cd runs ok on my desktop pc, but my keyboard doesn't work but i'll discuss that problem somewhere else.

Beans

im having this same issue with my asus z96j laptop it has a 32bit core duo processor, radeon x1600 graphics card and 1 gig of ram. i haven't tried any workarounds from this thread yet but i will when i get home tonight and i will post my results

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast