Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

No such luck for me...when I try to boot into the live CD Ubuntu on the 8.04 desktop ISO, I'm ending up with an apparent infinite loop with messages something like this:

SQUASHFS error: unable to read fragment cache block...
    SQUASHFS error: unable to read page, block 2224bb3d, size 8404
    SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0x8893b

Guess I'll try the re-download & re-burn sequence (again) to see where that gets me...

This is installing on a Dell Vostro 200 that is currently dual booting the original Dell Windows XP (that I shrunk down) and Ubuntu 7.10. I'm attempting to do a fresh install of 8.04 on top of the existing (just recently installed) 7.10 install. No luck so far

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Beans

Had the same problem. I used the all_generic_ide boot option and it worked.
    My mobo is Gigabyte K8 Triton series, GA-K8NF-9 (nForce4-4x chipset).

This is a really serious problem. In fact it's more than one problem because different users find different workarounds working for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Unhappy Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Alas, the "fixes" don't work for all. I have a Dell 690 with Quad Core and NVIDIA video. I get the dreaded busybox halt with a: "ata_id [2884 *number varies*] main:HDIO_GET_IDENDITY failed for /dev.tmp-8-32" jumping up about 30 seconds later. Actually 2 such messages. I have tried all the incantations I can find on here, unplugged/disabled everything I can think of in BIOS except for the CDROM and one hard drive (SATA or SCSI). All to no avail. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, CD's pass test and both install in a Virtual Machine in VMWare (running on Linux host). System is already running openSUSE 10.3 which installs fine. Guess I will have to stay with it unless another version of the image is released. I have officially given up.
    This is a great forum, so I will keep an eye open to see if something else in the way of a work around shows up. Keep up the good work.

--
    Lou
    I don't know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.

Beans

Please help

If I use the "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" option with the live CD it will work and install Hardy but after that the brand new installation won't work, will it?

To make my updated Feisty to Hardy work I have to change in Bios "Both" (SATA/PATA) to "SATA" in the Onboard SATA devices. But the problem is that way I can't use my IDE DVD-ROM devices.

Any idea? Please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have similar issue here, but looks like a network card is jamming things up. I have tried a upgrade from within Gutsy as well as a clean install but the end result is always being dumped to a busybox screen. Message is as follows: (initramfs) [ 139.175210] 8139cp 0000:05:09.0: This (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not an 8139C+ compatible chip [ 139.175276] 8139cp 0000:05:09.0: Try the "8139too" driver instead. This setup works pretty well in Gutsy with mimimal tweaking, but Hardy refuses to do anything from a Live CD except Memtest86+. Any other choice results in the error. System specs are Asus A8V-VM / Athlon 64 3500+ / Nvidia 6600GT based GPU / 1GB DDR 400 / Hitachi 80 GB HDD / Lite On DVD ROM CD +/- Burner combo. Any suggestions would be welcomed here.
    Last edited by jbr6700; April 28th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.
    If you are afraid of the answer........Don't ask the question.

I had this problem when I installed 7.10. This ugliness appeared again and irqpoll saved the day.

Now can we get 5 button mouse support? PLZ!?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | Abit IP35 Pro P35
    WD5000AAKS SATA 3.0Gb/s | Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR2 800 | GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

For those of you still having problems -- can you verify that the UUID in the grub /bppt/grub/menu.lst matches your /etc/fstab and is actually the right value for your hard drive?

They were different in my case...and I got dumped into busybox too.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you Jong! I was able to install HH 8.04 from the Live CD. From Live CD, Install, F6 I entered:

all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

and the image booted from cd-rom to desktop and the installation proceeded without apparent problem. I tried all the other suggestions, without success and this did the job.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sorta90 View Post
    will this bios thing on raid work with my windows xp media center edition ( im relatively new to this)
    on my vista ultimate x64 it works with both modes (AHCI, RAID).
    maybe you need drivers from your sata controller (on the motherboard cd?)
    i don't know - the drivers for my board are integrated into vista or i don't need special one.

additional infos to my config:
    my floppy controller is disabled in bios (manually - because i have no floppy)

i think i should also try the options posted her without change sata mode to raid.
    Code:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll
    if the options are the correct solution this should be autodetected and built in if possible in future iso files.

off topic:
    compiz fusion is so cool! The effects are running very fast (ati radeon express 200 onboard with 256mb shared ram). everytime i move a window i have to smile these effects are all better than the vista effects. maybe i'll buy a hp all-in-one printer instead of my lexmark all-in-one p4350 and then kill my vista!

Beans

It seems like all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll is the solution for those with an Asus board with JMicron? Not for MSI. I can't get it working.

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast