Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

It seems that the kernel that made it into the distribution doesn't have this same problem. Once I installed, it booted right up. The problem seems to be with the differing bios' method of SATA drive assignment. I'll leave it up to the kernel whizkids to figure out exactly why.

So I did not need to modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst kernel boot options. If the problem persists after boot, you may have to do that.

For the record, I have two other AMD 64 AM2 based motherboard computers neither of which had this problem. It only happened with the Intel board using the quad-core chip.

Mazq447, I'll know more about the scaling once I monitor the system for a while. Glad the workaround worked for you.
    JM

Beans

I'm going to bump this as there's a lot of 1 post threads that I think are duplicates of this.

I'm running a ABIT IP-35 board... my boot problem is intermittent. It won't work for like 5 attempts.. I go into Vista to look at posts.. try again and it works.

There's a few launchpad posts about this.. apparently it may be a problem with the kernel version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matl1984 View Post
    i got the same message.

i turned the "sata mode" in bios from "ahci" to "raid" and then it works

my motherboard is asrock 775 twins hdtv r2.0.
    my hard disks are seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB
    i have 2 sata disks and only dvds are at primary ide master and secondary ide master

my messages - not exactly:

Code:
    BusyBox 1.1.3...
    initramfs
    [time..] ata1: COMRESET failed (errno:-16)
    [time..] ata1: reset failed. giving up
    [time..] ata2: COMRESET failed (errno:-16)
    [time..] ata2: reset failed. giving up
    will this bios thing on raid work with my windows xp media center edition ( im relatively new to this)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Did you try adding 'irqpoll' at the end of the boot string from the graphical boot up menu? Rather than change a working bios with a Windows install, changing your boot options is less intrusive on the system and less apt to mess up your working Windows install.

Also, if you are new, I'd highly recommend putting Ubuntu on a second drive. Careful "moving" or "resizing" partitions unless you know what you're doing.
    JM

Beans

hello,

i have a similar problem with hardy.
    after a simple upgrade some things did not work anymore (fglrx....), so i decided to do a clean install, since my home folder is on a different partition anyway.
    but after the upgrade i got some problems with my cd writer, the system would freeze every time i wanted to burn the cd. i was getting some strange messages on tty1, like

[ time...] hdb: drive not ready for command
    [ time...] hdb: timeout verifying DMA

these come up again and again, and the system freezes, so i had to burn the cd in winxp. never seen things like this before.
    the live cd brings up busybox and also some weird messages like

[ time...] ata4.01: cmd a0/01:00:00:80:00/00:00:00:00:00/b0 tag 0 dma 128 in
    [ time...] ata4.01: status { DRDY }
    [ time...] exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

again and again every 40-50 units in "time" (seconds? ).

i'll try the bios thing now.

but seriously: wtf?

UPDATE:
    neither the adding irqpoll nor all_generic_ide to the boot string of the live cd helped. my single sata-disk is already managed as raid by the bios, because winxp needed it for some reason.
    well, i don't really know what else to try.
    Last edited by felipe de la muerte; April 26th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi All,

I also got this issue on my laptop (worked fine on my desktop) when trying to boot with the Live CD. I haven't made any changes to my hardware and I dont even have a SATA hard drive in it...seems that this is happening to multiple users but for different reasons.

I couldn't fix it so I tried a dist-upgrade from Gutsy and it worked fine, I guess that will have to do, even though I wanted a clean install...

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

mazq447: Sorry for not supplying the details, it was night time here

I'm glad it is working for you now!

Beans

I am having this exact same problem as well. I was able to install 8.04 clean onto a Dell precision workstation 4300 without any issues. When I try to toss it onto my desktop I reach the same result as everyone else above. Tried the switches, tried the floppy trick, bios etc. Been scouring the forums/google for work-arounds and so far the only one that really works is to not use 8.04

Beans

Angry Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Same problem here.

Can anybody help me?

2 SATA Hard Drives.
    2 IDE DVD-ROM/RW

Bios:

Both (SATA/PATA) => Ubuntu 8.04 Initramfs + Busybox trouble installing and entering

Just SATA => Everything works except DVD-ROM/RW (So I can't either install it through live CD nor use my DVD-ROM devices in my ubuntu updated from feisty)

Thanks a lot everyone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I can report that 8.04 is working now after using the pci=nomsi workaround after trying the AHCI to RAID (or any other variant for that matter) and the irqpoll workaround.

Also, I'd like to note that I installed the 8.04 RC Desktop version (as it's the only one I have and I don't have the internet connected to that computer.)

Thank you all. Good luck.

Basil.

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast