Thread: Need a video card that will drive a 4k UHD monitor at 4k resolution

Beans

Need a video card that will drive a 4k UHD monitor at 4k resolution

I have Ubuntu 15 on a CyberPower desktop with a GEForce GTX 960 video card and the latest NVidia driver installed. It will only offer 1080p resolution for a 4k UHD monitor (Vizio E43u-D2), however. Also the HDMI port doesn't work on this graphics card (a common problem on the GTX 960). I'm not very happy with NVidia's support for Linux.

I want to upgrade the graphics card to one that supports 4k UHD on Ubuntu. If anyone can tell me which graphics cards and monitors actually work at 4k UHD resolution on Ubuntu I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Need a video card that will drive a 4k UHD monitor at 4k resolution

You may want to update to Ubuntu 16.04 or switch to 14.04 as they are they only supported versions of Ubuntu. Ubuntu 15.10 went EOL on July 28

Beans

That's got nothing to do with video cards.

Before you go telling people to upgrade to 16.04 you should first caution them about the many upgrades that have failed and trashed people's computers. That's why I don't do the upgrade. They often fail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by dean.w.schulze View Post
    That's got nothing to do with video cards.

Before you go telling people to upgrade to 16.04 you should first caution them about the many upgrades that have failed and trashed people's computers. That's why I don't do the upgrade. They often fail.
    Actually, it may well have something to do with video cards as the versions of xorg have changed in 16.04 and driver support has also changed considerably. To get the best from the newest video cards you will need 16.04.

Like you I have never upgraded; I always do a clean installation, but aside from that jeremy31 is quite correct in saying that both 15.# versions are now out of support so will get no more security updates and will therefore become insecure OSs before too long.