Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troubleshooting a REALLY Slow RAID 5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Troubleshooting a REALLY Slow RAID 5

Sorry for the delay on this. I wanted to thank you guys for your help, though.

All of a sudden, I'm getting inconsistent results when I do the tests that I've been doing and haven't had time to start isolating variables. As soon as I narrow down a configuration that gives consistent results I'll post the status and start up on troubleshooting again.

Also, I haven't tried that kernel patch (or the shorter "hack") yet, but I'll post the results of that as well if I get to it. I'm not convinced that it will help with what I'm doing, though. There are lots of services available on my server, but most of the they are either not used or shut down. So when I'm just doing simple file sharing over NFS or Samba, my CPU is hardly used. It's an Athlon 3000 with 4GB RAM, which is old, but should be more than enough for simple file sharing, right?

As long as I'm talking about the adequacy of my hardware, I thought it should be more than enough for software (mdadm-based) RAID as well. Let me know if that's not the case. As far as expectations, I'd be happy for a little while (until the hacker in me takes over again) with normal transfer speeds over the network (say 30 MB/s) if it were consistent. Recently I've been getting that for short periods of time (seconds or minutes during a transfer), but most of the time it's down around 3 MB/s. Either way, shouldn't I expect read and write operations to be FASTER with RAID than they would be with just a single disk? Even with RAID 5 or my funky JBOD + RAID 5 setup?

Also, I've noticed two other things during the limited troubleshooting I've done since my last post.

- Read operations across the network are only about 25 MB/s - 30 MB/s. about 1/5 or less than what I thought. All RAID drives are SATA II but my PCI card and the mainboard ports are all SATA 1.0.
    - Initial login via SSH to the server can take noticeably longer than it used to (to get to a prompt) after a restart. Subsequent logins are almost instantaneous. Maybe that's normal behavior since CPU and memory utilization look normal (low) any time I check them. But perhaps there is something else going on that I can't find.

Thanks again. Let me know if you have any thoughts, otherwise I'll post an update sometime over the next couple days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I can only speak for myself, but my fileserver at home is an AMD Athlon 3000+ with 4GB of RAM (sound familiar? ). I have a Supermicro 8 port PCI-X SATA controller. When I had 5 1TB Western Digital RE3 disks I could read/write via NFS at around 85-90MB/s. I've since moved to RAID6 and added 3 more disks, but the speed is slightly lower due to double parity checksumming.

I would attribute your slowness to the PCI card and the JBOD 1TB array combined. If you want to see much better performance, I would suggest ponying up the money and just buying another 1TB disk and remove the JBOD'd disks from the array. I would expect that just buy doing that you'd see around 40 MB/s. At that point you'd be limited by the PCI bus limiting you to 133MB/s total. So, if you wanted to push past that you'd want to move to a PCI-Express or PCI-X controller card. Here's an hdparm from my previous 5 disk array...
    Code:
    /dev/md0:
     Timing cached reads:   7836 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3921.44 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads:  954 MB in  3.00 seconds = 317.55 MB/sec
    mdadm can be very fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

rubylaser: Thanks for the input.

I don't know much about the inner workings of mdadm or RAID 5, but would it be possible to test your idea by removing the JBOD part of the array and then reading and writing data to the other two? If it sped up at that point it would seem like a clear indicator that the JBOD was slowing things down.

Or would the RAID 5 work even slower in a degraded configuration? Also, if I write data to the array in a degraded configuration, would it have to go through a long rebuilding process when I added with the JBOD or a new 1TB drive back into the mix?

I also had a thought about the PCI bus. I understand how I'm limited to the 133 MB/s, but shouldn't most of that equal to total rate of writing data? Or assuming 3 drives in a RAID 5 maybe 2/3 for writing data and 1/3 for writing parity information?

Either way, I just opened the box and confirmed that all 4 disks are connected to the PCI card, but I have two open ports on the motherboard. Do you know how much reconfiguration of mdadm it would take to move the two 1TB drives to the motherboard instead? It seems like every time I've moved an array to a different motherboard or simply reinstalled an OS, the array doesn't just come right up because the device identifiers or disk IDs or something have changed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That would be a nice test. If I am correct degraded RAID5 is kind of similar to RAID0...so know the risk. Note that RAID5 don't uses a parity disk but spreads it over all disks.

I tried removing and re-adding a partition into a array in a virtual machine. The result is that after removing nothing happens, except having a degraded array of course and after adding again, recovery will start. So yes, it will take some time.

Partitions also have UUIDs so it must be possible to switch controllers without rebuilding. Not sure however.

Create a backup and try out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

SaturnusDJ is correct, you can easily remove a disk from an array without data loss, although you would be running in degraded mode at that point. Also, your array would not be as fast as possible, because you just dropped the splindle count (although it should still be faster than what you're currently seeing).

When you add a new disk back in, mdadm would need to recalculate parity even if you re-added the same disk that you marked as failed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm having similar issues with my RAID5 array.

Perhaps someone will see my thread and have an answer or suggestions to this or vice versa.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10327483

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I know it's been a while, but I finally got around to troubleshooting some more. Unfortunately, I still haven't made any progress.

I moved the two 1TB drives to the mainboard. So the two drives in JBOD are still on the PCI card. That hasn't made any difference in the tests I've done (hdparm, dd, and copying across the network via nfs).

In the new configuration, I unplugged the JBOD and brought everything up in degraded state. Still got the same results on those three tests.

Right now I've added the JBOD back in and it's in the process of rebuilding.

I still haven't gone out to buy a new 1TB disk to replace the JBOD. I'm thinking that if I have to resort to that, it might be worth my time to get a new server that doesn't require the PCI card to provide enough SATA ports. Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I did a little more testing with the dd command and found something interesting.

If I do:

Code:
    dd count=1k bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/foo/test.img
    It will write a total of about 1.1 GB to the destination file. Regardless of whether the destination file is on either the OS disk (a 20 GB laptop IDE drive) or the RAID array, the command reports about 15 MB/s write speed.

However, if I change the command to:

Code:
    dd count=1k bs=1K if=/dev/zero of=/foo/test.img
    (note the bs=1K) It will write a total of about 1 MB to the destination file. If that file is on the OS disk, the command reports a speed jump to 134 MB/s. But if that file is on the RAID array the command reports a speed DROP to a pitiful 282 kB/s. YES kilo - with a k. I can count to about 4 before it displays the output.

Anyone know what's going on here? Is it even relevant?

Beans

I am having the same issue with a slightly different setup. My desktop has a 4-disc RAID5 attached via SATA to my motherboard. I also have a separate 1tb drive for my operating system (Ubuntu 10.04). When I try to copy to my RAID, the write speed is typically ~2.2mb/s. If I copy to the OS drive, I get much faster speeds. The read speed is just fine from the RAID. The only problem is the write speed. Some of my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    RAM: 4gb DDR2 1066
    RAID drives: 4x 1.5tb Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS sata drives set up as ext3

I am having the same issue as the OP without the JBOD, PCI card, or network... I have read about modifying a write cache size variable but that didn't do anything (don't have the link with me at work or I'd include a link to the article).

Any thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12