Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hfs+ support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

hfs+ support

Is there a kernel for ubuntu that has hfs+ support built in?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: hfs+ support

Yes, the one you're posting from.

Problem is, if you have the journalled version of hfs+, you can only read a hfs+ filesystem. If you have a non-journalled hfs+, then you can read-write. But you may have permissions problems writing to the root of the filesystem if you don't invoke root powers or do a bit of chown-ing or chmodding.

By the way, someone may tell you that you need the apps hfsplus, hfsprogs and hfsutils that are in the repository. You don't - not to simply read and write files. I've just formatted a pen drive with the non-journalled hfs+ in my Mac and Ubuntu is reading and writing to it happily without those apps installed. (With a little permissions hiccup at first.)
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I guess I should have been more specific. Im building a linux distro from the linux from scratch project and I'm messing around with diffrent ways of installing it. I'm trying to install linux on an HFS+ partition and mess around with some stuff under that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kr651129 View Post
    I'm trying to install linux on an HFS+ partition
    An original project. Can I ask why?
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Well for two reasons, neither of which being good enough to do something like this but they are what they are lol.

1. To learn more about the interworkings of linux
    2. I'd like to make a linux distro that when installed side by side with mac can talked to each other easier out of the box, I'm also working on getting mac programs working smoothly under linux so I can kinda make a hybrid windows, linux, mac machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Good luck!

hey thanks! If you want I can keep you updated on the progress. I may even start a new thread if people want to help out with this hybrid project.

As for my next question; Has anyone here installed linux using GUID instead of MBR?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kr651129 View Post
    As for my next question; Has anyone here installed linux using GUID instead of MBR?
    Not personally, but it seems you can.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Not personally, but it seems you can.
    Sweet, I'll need to play with that when I get home from work! Thanks again. I hate finding out information that could be fun while your at work, you have the rest of the day to wait to get home and mess around with it all.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello, I would be interested in any help you need with your distro and I also would love you know how you get HFS+ support working as I currently have a external hard drive that is formatted as such so that Windows, Linux and Mac can read it. Also you might want to base your distro on BSD instead of linux as that is what OS X is built on.... that way you could reuse some of the Darwin code. Apple tends to hold back Darwin for release I believe the current version relates to 10.4(AKA Tiger). Anyway good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast