Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Lynx and iPod touch/iPhone video sync

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Lucid Lynx and iPod touch/iPhone video sync

I have successfully synced Music between RhythmBox and my iPod touch with the native 10.04 support. However, as yet, I haven't heard about a definite way to sync Videos.

I read about using DropBox, and I tried that. It did accomplish getting a video onto the iPod so I could watch it, but it was very slow. Don't expect instant gratification.

Then I found GoodReader from the App Store, which I got in order to read PDFs. Turns out, it is a much more capable app than I realized. You can set up folders in GoodReader just as you would on your computer. You can mount it in Nautilus over WiFi and transfer files to and from its file system just like a remote drive. Once those files are there, if they are a file type recognized by GoodReader, and including videos (!!), it will open and display / play them!!!

Here's how: Start the GoodReader app. The left-most icon in the task bar at the bottom takes you to a page "WiFi-transfer". If you have connected your iPod to your WiFi, this page will show "WiFi status: ON" and "Connection: not established". It will also show "IP address: http://192.168.1.104:8080" or something similar.

Now in Ubuntu, start Nautilus, choose File>Connect to Server...
    Under "Service Type", choose "WebDAV (HTTP)". In "Server", enter IP address (192.168.1.104, for example) and in "Port" enter 8080, as found on the GoodReader display. Click "Connect". Another instance of Nautilus pops up, showing the GoodReader's file system. On the iPod, Connection now changes to "established".

Just drag and drop, copy and paste, or whatever, and it works like you think it should. Transfers are very fast!!

Once you have the files copied over, unmount the iPod and tap Done on the WiFi Transfer page of GoodReader. Then navigate the file system and tap on the file to play. If it's a video, it starts playing.

This is not ideal, and there may be a limit on total size of the GoodReader directory, but it's better than nuttin'.

Beans

Thanks for the tip aa4bb - I just installed GoodReaderLite and your instructions worked perfectly with Lucid and my jailbroken first gen iPhone.

Fyi, GoodReaderLite is free and fully functional other than it will only allow 5 files to be stored at one time. The full version with unlimited file storage is available for 99 cents.

Also fyi, I used HandBrake to prepare the video for playback on my iPhone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Glad it worked, mediamind.

I'll have to try Handbrake. Thanks for that suggestion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aa4bb View Post
    I have successfully synced Music between RhythmBox and my iPod touch with the native 10.04 support. However, as yet, I haven't heard about a definite way to sync Videos.

I read about using DropBox, and I tried that. It did accomplish getting a video onto the iPod so I could watch it, but it was very slow. Don't expect instant gratification.

Then I found GoodReader from the App Store, which I got in order to read PDFs. Turns out, it is a much more capable app than I realized. You can set up folders in GoodReader just as you would on your computer. You can mount it in Nautilus over WiFi and transfer files to and from its file system just like a remote drive. Once those files are there, if they are a file type recognized by GoodReader, and including videos (!!), it will open and display / play them!!!

Here's how: Start the GoodReader app. The left-most icon in the task bar at the bottom takes you to a page "WiFi-transfer". If you have connected your iPod to your WiFi, this page will show "WiFi status: ON" and "Connection: not established". It will also show "IP address: http://192.168.1.104:8080" or something similar.

Now in Ubuntu, start Nautilus, choose File>Connect to Server...
    Under "Service Type", choose "WebDAV (HTTP)". In "Server", enter IP address (192.168.1.104, for example) and in "Port" enter 8080, as found on the GoodReader display. Click "Connect". Another instance of Nautilus pops up, showing the GoodReader's file system. On the iPod, Connection now changes to "established".

Just drag and drop, copy and paste, or whatever, and it works like you think it should. Transfers are very fast!!

Once you have the files copied over, unmount the iPod and tap Done on the WiFi Transfer page of GoodReader. Then navigate the file system and tap on the file to play. If it's a video, it starts playing.

This is not ideal, and there may be a limit on total size of the GoodReader directory, but it's better than nuttin'.
    I'll see about giving this a shot when I get home tonight!

Thanks for the good find!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been using rhythmbox to deal with my music on my second generation ipod touch. It worked flawlessly, just had to drag and drop the files. You can even go back and forth from ipod to rhythmbox, or rhythmbox to ipod. Fspot syncs up any saved photos on the ipod. I didn't try anything with movies yet.

However I did run into a snag this morning when I went to use my ipod. Unfortunately I think the process of copying files actually screwed up the music library directory on my ipod. Which causes the ipod to try and update the music library and subsequently crash after a few seconds. I am going to restore it when I get home I just thought i would let everyone know about this potential hazard to your ipod touches.

Beans

I meant to respond to this yesterday.

This is a pretty nice little app. I may be tempted to spend the $0.99!

Works like a charm for videos. I too have been utilizing HandBrake to convert my videos over.
    It will simply allow you to select "iPhone & iPod Touch" output template.

I hope this resolves the issues for others, it did me.

Thanks again.

Beans

Thanks too aa4bb,
    This is a quick fix to loading a video quickly without having to boot into windows and use itunes. Maybe next year we will be able to sync video aswell as music, but until then I can live with it...I am happy with the recent developments in the linux platform to enable users to interface their ipods without itunes.

I held out as long as I could, always using plug and play/drag and drop mp3 players like iriver, but I succumbed to the app feature and pdf support. I wanted a music player with wi-fi and pdf support and no other decent product is coming to the party for the same money.

So hello apple, but hopefully goodbye itunes...soon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Install gtkpod then for the ipod or iphone mappoint

/home/"username"/.gvfs/"iphone or ipod name"

replace "username" with your home folder name.
    replace "iphone or ipod name" with the device name.

it is slow but be patient. It works for me hope it works for you.
    Last edited by bshosey; June 19th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
    I am not a PC! I am not a Mac! I am a Human Being! Windows was not my idea!
    Ubuntu = $0.00, Software = $0.00, Updates = $0.00, Freedom = PRICELESS!

Beans

bshosey,
    When I plug my iPod Touch in, a .gvfs mount is automatically created. "~/.gvfs/iPod touch"

However, when I launch gtkpod, I don't see it listed there. If I click "Load iPods", and let it sit for a relatively long period of time (10+ minutes), still nothing shows up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In gtkipod click on "edit" then "Repositories/iPod Directory.
    Make sure setting are set to my previous post
    I am not a PC! I am not a Mac! I am a Human Being! Windows was not my idea!
    Ubuntu = $0.00, Software = $0.00, Updates = $0.00, Freedom = PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast