Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How the free software culture works.

Beans

How the free software culture works.

Firstly the phrase 'free software' can be very misleading. A lot of people think that 'free' means that they are getting somthing for no cost and that is as far as it goes.

That is firstly an incorrect assumption and is very selfish as well.
    Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech”, not as in “free beer”.
    Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

• The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    • The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
    • The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    Quote from the GNU project http://www.gnu.org/

If you are using 'free software' then someone has taken the time to write this software for you for no profit or gain but because they believe they are helping you. If your attitude like so many others is that 'you don't really care where it comes from as long as you don't have to pay', then that is very selfish.

Many people who use Linux / other free operating systems and pieces of software are very willing to help others. This forum for example . People posting answers here are not making money out of it but are here purely to help you because they want to see free software become something more and I don't think that derogatory comments about the Operating system or the Developers views on free software are at all appropriate as they are helping you out for nothing.

If you have experience in an area then it is very helpful if you share it rather than keeping it to yourself. On the other hand if you are new to free software ask away! and when you start to build up your knowledge, share it with others.

However if all you can do is complain about the software and the lack of help you are getting the I suggest you go and get a refund.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How the free software culture works.

Cool rant.

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by llawwehttam View Post

However if all you can do is complain about the software and the lack of help you are getting the I suggest you go and get a refund.
    Wow, original. Don't know why I never came up with that reply. It's not like the software should be good regardless of price, or anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    Cool rant.
    lol thanks. I had several tabs open with different threads I was following and when I started the post It was not supposed to be a rant but after getting a rather rude remark in another thread ( not naming anyone) i kinda got a bit worked up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by llawwehttam View Post
    lol thanks. I had several tabs open with different threads I was following and when I started the post It was not supposed to be a rant but after getting a rather rude remark in another thread ( not naming anyone) i kinda got a bit worked up.
    It's cool. It was a rude reply to a snide comment.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Selfish?
    I don't see how saving money is being selfish. Can't I enjoy free software and save a bundle too?

Beans

I don't think saying "I don't care where it comes from" is selfish.

What's selfish is to endlessly complain about the program, without making an active effort to improve it (report bugs, help others solve their issues and get workarounds, or even modify the source itself).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    I don't think saying "I don't care where it comes from" is selfish.

What's selfish is to endlessly complain about the program, without making an active effort to improve it (report bugs, help others solve their issues and get workarounds, or even modify the source itself).
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Your post explains my thoughts exactly. My comment was aimed at those who complain but do not do anything to help.

Sorry if i misled anyone there.

Quote Originally Posted by ankspo71 View Post
    Selfish?
    I don't see how saving money is being selfish. Can't I enjoy free software and save a bundle too?
    Yes you can do both , I am not calling anyone selfish for saving money. My point is that if you are saving money by using and hopefully enjoying free software it is good to share it with others and not keep it to yourself.

Yet another case of my bad wording so sorry again for that.
    Last edited by llawwehttam; January 8th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

Beans

This... is a really good point. I think a lot of people are making the mistake of importing their mindset that "the customer is always right" into a context where nothing is being sold. A few people have been trained to be selfish by a consumerist culture, such that they don't think to be grateful when someone has made something just for their sake, and not for profit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adelphos View Post
    This... is a really good point. I think a lot of people are making the mistake of importing their mindset that "the customer is always right" into a context where nothing is being sold. A few people have been trained to be selfish by a consumerist culture, such that they don't think to be grateful when someone has made something just for their sake, and not for profit.
    I can't thank you enough for that comment. That is EXACTLY right.

Maybe ungrateful would have been a better word to use than selfish in my original post.
    Last edited by llawwehttam; January 8th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast