Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

Beans

HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

Comprehensive Guide to Customising
    GDM and XSplash

Preface
    This guide is my statement to those people who think that the new GDM login screen is un-customisable.

At the beginning of this month, I started playing around with a Netbook I bought back in August. Installed Karmic UNR, and started playing about with it.

One thing I was looking for in the first place was a consistency across the UI. From Splash Screen, to Login Screen, to Desktop.
    Once that was sorted, and I picked up a thing or two about how GDM actually functions now, I then had the mad idea of turning GDM into a minimal desktop for the most basic functions I use everyday - XChat, Empathy and Browsing - and if I need to get to anything else - just login and I have the usual full control to the system and applications again.

Before you run anything. I regard all material in this guide to be reasonably safe in terms of security. If you do find a hole or flaw, please contact me with an appropriate fix, if possible.

Changing XSplash Background
    Unfortunately, xsplash has the location of where the background it uses hard coded into the application. So you cannot alter this via changing a setting in a config file.

Fortunately for us though, we use a Debian system, and such systems are capable of a certain administrative feature called "diverting".
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg
    This renames the file 'bg_2560x1600.jpg' to 'bg_2560x1600.jpg.distrib', and sets the package manager config in such a way that if an update of xsplash were to come through, it will save the file as the diverted name (so the locally created file will not be overwritten).

So that sorted out, just copy the image you want to that location:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/backgrounds/TheRainbowisDead.jpg /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg
    And logout/login to see your new xsplash.

To restore this setting.
    Code:
    sudo unlink /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg
    sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg

Backup GDM Default settings
    Before making any changes, first we need to divert and backup the gconf settings file
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --local --add /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml
    sudo cp /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml.distrib
    If at all you need to reset these changes back to the Ubuntu defaults
    Code:
    sudo cp /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml.distrib /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml

Changing GDM Background and Theme
    Now this could probably be done in a gconftool-2 command, but I prefer this method:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow
    Then logout, and you'll see an appearance window pop up.
    Change it to how you prefer it, then close and login as usual.

When you have logged in after finishing the customising. Just remove the file to prevent it starting up every time.
    Code:
    sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

Hacking GDM
    GDM still has configuration options that you can edit in gconf. You can get the list here.
    To run through what I consider to be the "interesting" ones in brief:

Disable User List
    Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list --type bool true
    Disables the name list in the login screen.
    Valid Values: true - false

Change Logo
    Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/logo_icon_name --type string "distributor-logo"
    Changes the logo on the Login Window
    Default Value: "computer"

Enable Compositing
    Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/wm_use_compiz --type bool true
    Change default window manager from Metacity to Compiz. Probably just me, but that doesn't seem to take effect?

If your system's graphics card doesn't support 3D Acceleration (Older than 5 years?) then you can always enable simple compositing in Metacity.
    Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager --type bool true

GDM and Compiz
    If the above key change didn't make any difference to you (didn't to me). Don't worry, there is another way!

Now, to give a brief background, when gdm loads, it opens up all desktop applications inside the directory:
    /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/

So any .desktop file kept in that directory will run whenever gdm loads.

So! Using the same divert trick as earlier, divert the metacity.desktop file.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/metacity.desktop
    Then copy over the compiz.desktop file.
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/compiz.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow
    This should be doable with any window manager within reason. (ie: mutter). Although feel free to see if any other will work too.

GDM and Network Connectivity
    Before we can connect to the Net, we need the Network Manager applet.

Simple to install:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/nm-applet.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow
    Then to set it up, logout and enter in the passphrase/key for your network (presuming you are wireless). Then when asked for a password for a default keyring, leave it blank and just press 'Create'.
    You will be prompted with the message: "Store passwords unencrypted?", just select "Use Unsafe Storage" and the password will be kept in clear text.

This is essential if you don't want to be bugged by entering in a keyring password every time - and it isn't quite as insecure as it seems. Although the password will be in clear text, permissions deny any user except 'root' and 'gdm' from reading the file.

GDM and Firefox, XChat, Empathy
    This little trick in this guide is essentially turning GDM into a minimal desktop session, useful for doing quick web searches, or asking quick questions to friends without the need to login entirely!

First, we insert Firefox. Now, I prefer to put it into the taskbar using 'alltray'.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alltray
    Then copy over the desktop icon.
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/firefox.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/
    And alter it so it open firefox with alltray:
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/^Exec=/Exec=alltray /' /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/firefox.desktop
    Now, when you come to the login screen, Firefox will be in a tray icon.

The exact same procedure is used for XChat and Empathy too.
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/xchat.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/
    sudo sed -i 's/^Exec=/Exec=alltray /' /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/xchat.desktop
    Although, in the case of Empathy, you will have two tray icons if you run the 'sed' command.
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/empathy.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/
    sudo sed -i 's/^Exec=/Exec=alltray /' /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/empathy.desktop
    Of the above though - realistically you should only be needing firefox, as you can use it as both an IRC and IM client through either addons or web-based services.

GDM Hardening
    This last section of this is all about hardening GDM and reducing as many security breaches as possible.

What is already restricted?
    GDM itself already comes as pretty restrictive by default.
    • GDM's Home Directory has the permission 750.
    • URL Handlers are disabled.
    • Save to Disk is disabled.
    • Printer Setup and Printing is disabled.
    • Lock Screen is disabled.
    • Command Line is disabled. Shell is set to /bin/true
    • The Majority of Keybindings are disabled.
    • Desktop and File Browsing is disabled.

What else can be done?
    If anyone has anything more to add, please comment.

Firefox Tweaking
    • Install security addons. I recommend No Script.
    • Open about:config and set 'browser.privatebrowsing.autostart' to True.

Disallow Root Logins
    For reasons beyond me, GDM doesn't seem to deny root logins.
    This can be fixed though.
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/pam.d/gdm
    And put below the #%PAM-1.0
    Code:
    auth    required        pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
    Alternatively, you could use what I believe to be the default behaviour of GDM 2.20
    Code:
    auth    required        pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 1000 quiet
    auth    required        pam_succeed_if.so user != nobody quiet

Last Words
    As GDM is part of the boot process, you may want to optimise all the changes you've made. Ubuntu Karmic uses ureadahead to carry out the profiling, and all you have to do to schedule a re-profile of the preload cache is by running:
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/ureadahead/*pack
    Then reboot twice, and your boot process with be optimised again.

So! turns out if you put your mind to it, you can make something out of nothing much. Hope you all enjoy the guide as much as I did creating it.

Thanks for reading.

Regards
    Iain

TODO:
    • AppArmor
    • Firefox doesn't close cleanly by itself.
    • Rather than alltray - perhaps tray shortcuts instead?
    • Enable window switching.
    • Login Sounds
    Last edited by ibuclaw; December 5th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

Heyya Iain,

Working OUTSTANDING. I have it working away!

One small protip for any dual-screeners --

The background will do some funny things with resizing, but all in all, works great!

Godspeed folks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks mate!
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very interesting - care to post a short video (youtube?) of everything in work?

Beans

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi.This worked out fine,but for some reason I'm unbable to set the windowdecorator.Used to use emerald but now it's stuck in clearlooks and I can't change it to whatever.Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

????It's back now (did another reboot).Sorry about that.

Beans

Hey mate, awesome thread.

Ive got a problem though, not really related to this, but you seem the guy to ask.

I have a dual monitor setup, using nVidias twinview setting. When I start my PC, the login window is displayed on my secondary monitor (which is a TV screen, and is off when im not using it).. The primary monitor is still enabled on the login screen (GDM is across both monitors, its just the actual login part is on the second).

Is there anyway I can change this so the login window is displayed on my primary monitor (which would be the logical way to do it anyway..)

I know I could just disable the secondary monitor unless im using it, but that really screws with my wallpapers.

So basically, GDM is displayed on the wrong monitor. I think the best option would be to just disable the second monitor on gdm. Sorry if i've explained this badly (I have )

Thanks
    Last edited by deanhopkins; December 4th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Beans

Awesome guide thanks a lot

I have one problem though, when i run
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/sreadahead/pack
    I get:
    Code:
    dave@dave-laptop:~$ sudo rm /var/lib/sreadahead/pack
    rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/sreadahead/pack': No such file or directory
    Any ideas what i need to do?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi.First of all,this a wubi install.After following the guidelines,reboot,one of the first things was the unability to change the window borders.Somehow they were stuck in a clearlooks theme.Rebooted and emerald was back again.However,after a few seconds,the screenresolution went to 800X600.Without the ability to do anything.I had no other option than to install ubuntu again.Changing the xsplash and gdm is no problem at all but installing the rest seems to have stuck the system.Couldn't find a solution this morning so..In order not to have a reinstall again if this might occur once more,what should I do when it's stuck.By the way,no errors were given during the install.
    Regards,John.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast