Thread: Locking Down GNOME

Beans

Locking Down GNOME

Hi Folks,

So I'm well under way to making a Linux desktop environment which is suitable for a workplace which requires strict lockdowns.

I've used a combination of:
    Pessulus (I've locked down the Panel, removed the Ubuntu Menu)
    GConf-Editor
    PublicFox (For firefox)
    And changing permission of certain gnome binaries

I have a few questions:

1) Is public fox good enough to lockdown firefox? The main thing I want out of it is to disable access to the options for home page and proxy

2) I followed a tutorial online which told me hold to edit a nautilus XML file to remove the option to change the desktop background. This setting never worked (Changing the respective menu item to hidden=true) so I was resorted to chmod the respect binary so only root could access it. Is this good enough?

3) Any ideas on how I could make the GNome "File/Open" dialog only give access to the user's home folder?

5) I have to give the user access to pessulus, as if I removed the button for this, then I coudn't change the profile anymore (Found that out the hard way!). So what I've done, is that using my admin account, created a symbolic link to pessulus. Then in the restricted account, created a keyboard shortcut to this symbolic link. Then before I hand out the computers, I just remove the symbolic link, so if the user were to press the keyboard shortcut, it just says File Not Found. What you think of this?

Cheers in advance

Jonny
    Last edited by jonnytabpni; October 29th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.