Thread: Installing on an old HP Pravillon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Installing on an old HP Pravillon

This gallant knight blindly charges off to save a damsel in distress and falls in the moat.

One of the kitchen wenches that feed me several times a week at the inn mentioned her computer would not boot. Several knights tested it and decided that the hard drive had been consumed by a dragon. ( I posted about this a few weeks ago )

One of the knights said he would slay the dragon and install another hard drive. When the lady got her computer back it had a note "This not a registered copy of Windows. If you visit a MS site they may freeze your computer".

This worried her since her children use it. I offered to install Ubuntu on it and she agreed.

Half way thru the installation I get an error message that there is no space left on the HD.

Some digging and googling shows that the HD is a Toshiba Mk2105MAT which is a 2.6 GB drive. I never dream anything that small had not been thrown in the trash.

If Windows will fit, what version of Ubuntu will fit? Can I strip down Jackalope to fit? All she wants is internet access.
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans

Re: Installing on an old HP Pravillon

How gallant and proficient are you ?

You could start with a minimal install and install the packages required and no more.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

A bigger hard drive isn't a possibility then ?

Is the computer itself decent enough ?

Beans

Did ye let Ubuntu use the entire drive or was Windows still installed?
    I'm not sure but what version are they installing on those new fangled netbooks- Ubuntu Mobi??.
    Good Luck and if all else fails get a bigger drive but make sure the HP bios can handle it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    How gallant and proficient are you ?
    Gallant? That comes with age and how good a snow job it will do.
    Proficient? Just enough to get in trouble.

You could start with a minimal install and install the packages required and no more.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    This is exactly the link I needed. Thank you very much.

A bigger hard drive isn't a possibility then ?

Is the computer itself decent enough ?
    Kitchen wenches don't make much money.
    And yes, for what it going to be used for.
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ghostborg View Post
    Did ye let Ubuntu use the entire drive or was Windows still installed?
    I'm not sure but what version are they installing on those new fangled netbooks- Ubuntu Mobi??.
    Good Luck and if all else fails get a bigger drive but make sure the HP bios can handle it.
    Window was installed but I used the whole disk.

Beans
    Distro

That was an interesting 2 hour trip. I got a good install and used only have the disk space.

There is no GUI. Strictly command line. Is that the way it was intended or did I miss a flag/option somewhere?

I can handle the command line. I grew up on Microwares OS9 back in the late 70's early 80's.

I'm afraid the wench can't.

Are there other options for my dilemma.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you checked Puppy or DSL? I have both, but can't remember the footprint(s).
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Have you tried calling around to local PC shops? You might find one that still has a 10 gig drive laying around for next to nothing....just a thought from a cheapskate (I just built an internet box for the family w/ a 10 gig drive I had laying around and a 10 gig drive my buddy had laying around).

Beans
    Distro

Back to this for a couple of days.

Is there a file I can edit that will let me only install the applications I want?

Basically I want only a web browser and email client. Firefox and Thunderbird.

If I got rid of all the rest of the clients loaded at install time would that let me get under 2 gigs?

Dave