Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: get rtl8192se to work

Beans

Thumbs down get rtl8192se to work

Hi, i've a new laptop with a rtl8192se wireless card. Everything works well, except the wireless connection. I tried to install the interface with ndiswrapper but this didn't work. I was able to get an wlan0 interface but I wasn't able to set the essid or the key. Is there a way to install the RTL8192SE with correct drivers (kernel modules)?

Laptop: Medion akoya E1312
    lspci:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (Internal gfx)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Device 7914
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 1)
    00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0)
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1)
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2)
    00:13.3 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3)
    00:13.4 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4)
    00:13.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
    01:05.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon X1200 Series Audio Controller
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    lshw -C network
    Code:
    *-network UNCLAIMED     
           description: Network controller
           product: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           version: 10
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 02
           serial: 00:24:21:6e:7a:71
           size: 100MB/s
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full ip=192.168.178.37 latency=0 link=yes module=r8169 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
      *-network DISABLED
           description: Ethernet interface
           physical id: 1
           logical name: pan0
           serial: f2:d8:78:df:76:d5
           capabilities: ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes
    i deinstalled the ndiswrapper drivers ... (i think thats why the first device ist UNCLAIMED)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: get rtl8192se to work

Some bad news here, the 8172 chipset is reported not to work on Linux. I've done some research myself on this chipset and I haven't seen much on it, and when I have seen information on it people have not got it up and running, but I guess I can provide with you some instructions to try, and some other options for wireless cards. You can get the .inf for the 8172 chipset right here. Once you have that, extract the file, and look for the .inf file. Then you said you already had ndiswrapper installed, but just to make sure, run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndidswrapper-common
    Once you have that, install the driver by running:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i filename.inf
    Then make sure if the driver is recognized by the ndiswrapper by running:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    Now if ndiswrapper recognizes the driver, run these commands:
    Code:
    depmod -a
    ndiswrapper -m
    Then once you have that, you need to make the ndiswrapper module, so you can run:
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    Then make sure the ndiswrapper module is list, you can run:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ndis
    Once you have done that, you can now reboot and see if this works. Now again I'll doubt if this will work, because not many people have got this card to work, and from what I've seen nobody has gotten it to work sadly. Look over this link. Try to pick a USB card out of the list, they usually run pretty cheap probably at most around 25 dollars.

Beans

i allready tried ndiswrapper and it didn't work.
    There is a patch under http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/33956/ but i don't know how to install it (or if it's possible)
    also there is a git repository under: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...ca2f76;hb=HEAD

P.S its a 8192SE Card not 8172
    Last edited by vralfy; July 10th, 2009 at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

According to the lspci output, these are the results showed:
    Code:
    Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)

Beans
    Distro

I almost forgot, you asked on how to apply a patch for the wireless card. It's pretty simple in fact. The link provided does give me a download link to the patch. I'm not sure if you caught the link, but here is the link: http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/33956/raw/. Then once you have got the patch, you can apply it by running:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < (path to patch)
    So in essence, if you downloaded the patch to your desktop and your username is "vralf" you would do:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < /home/vralfy/Desktop/patch
    That should apply the patch. If the patch does not work as intended you can always remove the patch and go back to the original state, you can do this usually by running:
    Code:
    patch -R < (path to patch)
    As stated thought I'm not sure if it's the card is the rtl8192se, but if it is, that's how you would apply the patch for this card.

Beans
    Distro

New Install, as in how new & which flavour ?

As this is completely destructive of your existing Ubuntu installation, may I implore (nag, insist) that you take a back-up

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...restore+Ubuntu

PLEASE !!!!!!!

If it is 9.04 and it is new ... if you backup the stuff you need, try this - it may sound mad, indeed it is, but it worked for my RealTek unit when all the other methods failed .....

Bear in mind that:

A) it is not the same device
    B) you need to do a fresh install - And I mean from the very beginning - use the manual disk partitioning to delete, re-create & format your ext3(4) and swap to how you want it.

If you are prepared to do that, when all else fails - As it did for me.

Do NOT have the ethernet cable plugged in when you re-install.

And, it is that mad !!! - I found out completely by accident - I was that narked over the wireless stuff & had tried that many 'fixes' I spat my dummy out & did a complete re-install - Only I didn't have the Ethernet lead plugged in. It came back asking me to connect by WPA (When it could only see WEP before) - And has been a happy bunny ever since.

So far, no one else has either tried to replicate it, or simply hasn't replied to me saying how they got on.

No win-wrapping stuff - Ubuntu, left alone, simply got on with job in hand.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

The original Windows driver let me think its the 8192SE Card. So i have only one question: Do i have to apply the patch on the Ubuntu kernel source or do i have to get the kernel source from kernel.org and apply the patch there? I'm gonna try it, because it's a new fresh ubuntu install, and if it fails i can install a new ubuntu. So i have nothing to loose. Bye vralfy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Codename View Post
    According to the lspci output, these are the results showed:
    Code:
    Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)
    That's because the device is unknown to lspci. It's the pciid of the device, not the model number.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vralfy View Post
    The original Windows driver let me think its the 8192SE Card. So i have only one question: Do i have to apply the patch on the Ubuntu kernel source or do i have to get the kernel source from kernel.org and apply the patch there? I'm gonna try it, because it's a new fresh ubuntu install, and if it fails i can install a new ubuntu. So i have nothing to loose.
    To avoid conflicts, it's advised to patch against the vanilla sources version the patch was made for. I'm working on the same problem myself, not even the realtek wlan drivers in the staging area work with this laptops wlan card atm.

There's also issues with the powernow-k8 driver due to a missing ACPI object in the BIOS, so CPU power management isn't working.

If you've already got Ubuntu 9.04 installed, don't bother with a reinstall, it wont solve anything.

Beans

Ok, I've been googling around. It turns out that the rtl8192se code is being stripped from the rtl8192su drivers. Someone is probably in the middle of making separate rtl8192se drivers. So we'll have to wait for wireless support.
    Last edited by aidanjt; July 13th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast