Thread: dial-up modem using gnome-ppp only works for FTP & ping! (not HTTP)

Beans

dial-up modem using gnome-ppp only works for FTP & ping! (not HTTP)

Hi,

I am interstate caring for my father with Alzheimers, and I took an old modem with me, but cannot get it going under Ubuntu 10.04 with HTTP.

But here's the amazing thing: it works with an FTP client and 'ping' which uses ICMP says everything is OK!

The problem is, that no web browsers work! And I have also removed network proxy from System/Preferences/Network Proxy and also from Firefox and Chrome. It seems as though everything HTTP-related just doesn't want to play ball.

[I have posted this from Windows XP running in Ubuntu/VirtualBox using the serial connexion!]

Modem uses Rockwell chipset and is reported in Windows XP as:
    Code:
    Modem - Rockwell 56000 External Modem PnP (COM1)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: dial-up modem using gnome-ppp only works for FTP & ping! (not HTTP)

Is the serial modem connecting to the Internet Service Provider? What do you do to make a connection?

Two years ago when I used a serial modem to connect to the Internet I used a program called pppconfig to enter the information needed to dial a connection to my ISP account. Then to make a connection I used the terminal and typed pon to get the modem to dial and poff to break the connection. What are you doing?

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: dial-up modem using gnome-ppp only works for FTP & ping! (not HTTP)

Does a web browser seem to connect but then not pass traffic? (May need to lower ppp's MRU/MTU).
    Or does the web browser not connect at all on port 80? (Try testing with telnet for connectivity?)