Thread: Blender: Invisible menus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Blender: Invisible menus

Hi everybody.
    I installed Blender on Ubunto Karmic. It starts fine, but when i try toopen a menu, it simply doesnot show up: it is just invisible, infacts i can stillblindly click on it an something will eventually happen.
    In the past i had a similar problem in Kubuntu, but i needed simply to press <Alt+Cntr+F2> to temporarily de-activate Composite.
    Now the questions are:
    1. How do i do that in Ubuntu?
    2. Is it a known issue?
    3. Is it due to my configuration? (ATI 4850 video card with AMD driver installed. Compiz+Emerald for windows and desktop decoration)

Thanx in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Blender: Invisible menus

Is there really anybody using Blender out there?
    Help!

Beans

I'm having a different problem. Blender just fails to open. I was having similar problems to yours in Jaunty, though. I just got used to the hot keys and worked around it. I'm running a similar graphics card on a P4. I hope someone can help us, cause I have a lot of work to do...

For now, I'm gonna try turning off some effects. That seems to be the source of many problems in Ubuntu.

Beans

nope... still nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This problem has to do with compiz. I solved it on my computer by going into CompizConfig settings manager -> Workarounds -> Legacy Fullscreen Support checked. This will fix the menu problem. However, Blender became unstable and trying to alt+tab out of it or switch desktop made the whole desktop freeze. Try if it works for you.

To run blender in a stable way I had to disable compiz. Do this by typing metacity --replace& in a terminal before launching blender. Type compiz --replace& when you are done to restart compiz.

I run blender from a simple shellscript that does this automatically:
    type

metacity --replace&
    blender
    compiz --replace&

in a file called blender.sh. Make it executable and run it by typing ./blender.sh.

Only launch one instance of blender at a time with this script though, if you want to have multiple blender instances do it the manual way, otherwise things will get messy when you close one of the windows.

/Henriq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanx everybody for answering! So apparently the problem is not new and it is a compatibility problem.
    The solution proposed by Henriq is a great help to fast up when you want to start Blender.
    I will anyway leave this thread open, to see if anybody can add more solution, or at least in the hope to sensibilize to the problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

By the way i like ur avatar very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by emigrant View Post
    By the way i like ur avatar very much
    Thanx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by henriq View Post
    I run blender from a simple shellscript that does this automatically:
    type

metacity --replace&
    blender
    compiz --replace&

in a file called blender.sh. Make it executable and run it by typing ./blender.sh.
    I had the "invisible menus" problem on Ubuntu Karmic 64 with an ATi card and the proprietary driver installed. Henriq's suggestion seemed to work great!

Beans

newbie need help.. i followed the #3 and after typing "compiz --replace" my monitor goes blank. I reboot and relogin. After 5 second or some my monitor turn blank again, what should i do??