Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon MP140

Beans

Canon MP140

Hi all, i need to install my Canon MP140 anyone can tell my how i can do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Canon MP140

Quote Originally Posted by Eijin View Post
    Hi all, i need to install my Canon MP140 anyone can tell my how i can do this?
    TRY THIS

1. install alien Symaptic Package Managerunder System, Administration.
    2. Go to HTTP://www.canon.com, Support and get the 4 required Linux Drivers. cuijfilter common and cuijfilter MP140 series, scangearmp common and scangearmp 140 series drivers. Download them to your desktop. Get the .rpm version only for this to work.
    3. These files are in the .rpm format and they need to be converted to .deb.
    4. use the terminal window. cd ~/Desktop. That will put you in the desktop.
    5. Convert the files to .deb by using sudo alien --scripts scangearmp-common-1.10-1.i386.rpm and sudo alien --scripts cuijfilter-common-2.80-0.i386.rpm. These are only examples and you need to be exact or it will not work.
    6. Double Click the .deb files and they will be installed. Install the common files first then the 140 series next.
    7. Reboot the computer and the scanner will show up in the GIMP Image Editor, File, Qcquire, Scangearmp.
    8. You then need to go to System, Administration, Printing and configure the MP 145. It is called the MP 140 series and Make and model is a Canon PIXMA MP150 CUPS ..........

Beans

Can you give me some direct link of the files i need? Because i can't find themç_ç

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Eijin View Post
    Can you give me some direct link of the files i need? Because i can't find themç_ç
    http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/E...os%3d%3dLinux&

Beans

After i've installe the 4 drivers...i try to print the test page, but the system returns this error: «client-error-document-format-not-supported».
    How can i resolve this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My test page printed just fine. Try printing from within an application like Openoffice writer of similar and see if you still get the error. If CUPS cant resolve the document type then maybe the application will have the filter for it.

See this link
    Last edited by abhilashkumar; July 8th, 2008 at 05:14 AM.

Beans

Thank you a lot i resolved my problem

Beans

I've tried these drivers but it didn't work. My system is 64-bit but I used
    Code:
    --force-architecture
    and it seemed to be installed but didn't work though. I keep getting
    Code:
    client-error-document-format-not-supported.
    and I don't know what to do. I want this printer to be local so what's the point?
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Canon MP140

Thanks to abhilashkumar for his instructions. This is how I installed the MP140 on Ubuntu 9.04 (x86).

Go to http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010525.asp

Then select Linux from the dropdown and click submit. Download the following two files:-

• Printer Driver for Linux (debian) (2.80)
    • ScanGear MP for Linux (2.80)

Printer
    My first attempt failed because a dependency was not met. I do not know why the dependency was not automatically installed, but all I had to do to get it working was to run the following command in a terminal window (and I entered my password when prompted):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libcupsys2
    Then I got the printer installed by opening the MP140_debian.tar file. Then installed the following two files by double clicking on them, then clicking Install Package:-

1. cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
    2. cnijfilter-mp140series_2.80-1_i386.deb

Then I restarted the computer. After the computer had restarted the printer appeared in System -> Administration -> Printing. I printed a test page by right clicking on the MP140-series printer and selecting Properties, then clicking Print Test Page.

Scanner
    Installing the scanner portion was a little more tricky because the .deb files seemed to be corrupt. This is what happened when I tried to install the .deb file:-

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb 
    dpkg-deb: `scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb' is not a debian format archive
    So I used abhilashkumar's recommendation of converting the rpm files using alien. This worked. For convenience I have uploaded the deb files that were created to my site:-

scangearmp-common_1.10-2_i386.deb
    scangearmp-mp140series_1.10-2_i386.deb

I installed these the same way as I installed the printer deb files (note that you must install them in the order shown just above). Then I restarted the machine.

To test the scanner I opened xsane from Applications -> Graphics -> XSane Image scanning program. I was able to scan by clicking Acquire Preview, then finally the Scan button.

I then installed Scanner Utility via Add/Remove Applications which I found to be a much simpler interface for scanning.

This worked very well, and for me this has been the easiest Canon printer to get working, but I would still buy HP for Linux support!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yes, I have Jaunty 9.04 netbook install I followed the advice downloaded and installed the drivers, installed scanner but when i tried to print a have an error pstocanonij write error, 32.

Is this a corrupt driver?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast