Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI integrated 3200 underscan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

ATI integrated 3200 underscan

Hi,

I installed ubuntu 8.04 and after installing the ATI video drivers I still get a 1 1/2 black border around my LCD TV screen. I used the envyNG option.

In the CCC the scale to full screen is checked off. I know the windows CCC allows a slider to adjust the underscan to fullscreen.

I am using HDMI to my TV but could use DVI to HDMI if it would help.

Anyone else get this or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Kryspy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: ATI integrated 3200 underscan

So,

To answer my own question. I tried out 8.10 this morning of Ubuntu and it detcted and installed the ATI drivers automatically for me. Only problem now is about 5% overscan enough that the menu bars are off the screen.

Kryspy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

same problem here

only solution I've found to underscan was

Code:
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:SizeX=1920
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:SizeY=1080
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:PositionX=0
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:PositionY=0
    this "fixes" the underscan until reboot... then X crashes and I can't log in. I have to boot into recovery, fix X, then redo fglrx, then black borders reappear.

This ONLY happens with my HDMI connection. If I switch to VGA and reinstall FGLRX everything works fine... I can even get flicker free fullscreen video in compiz fusion.

Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
    Samsung LN52A650
    Last edited by khmr33; December 28th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Beans

khmr33 i have your same problem with my hd2600 pro and samsung le40m87, dvi to hdmi cable, someone can help us for this?? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Which driver version are you guys using?

Have you tried toggling the tv-overscan option. There are a number of tv options in aticonfig.

aticonfig --help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had just finished installing the most recent ATi driver 8.12 I think. As far as I can tell it's not a tv-output problem because we're not using s-video or component out from a stand alone radeon card. At least I'm not.

HDMI -> HDMI and DVI -> HDMI connected to an HDTV is usually detected as a really big PC Monitor. My Samsung actually expects PC's to be connected via HDMI DVI and VGA and this works perfect on VGA under linux and perfect under all three in XP pro.

8.12 under VGA in Linux is the first time I've gotten fullscreen flicker-free (though not tear-free) video with compiz fusion active. This same PC under XP plays all sorts of HD content including HD-DVD's perfect but maybe I expect too much too soon from the Linux drivers.

The only difference I can find between the Linux and Windows drivers in this regard is a slider in the XP CCC that controls a 0% - 15% amount of overscan.
    When you install a fresh XP ATi driver the black border exists as well but this slider in CCC adjusted to 0% fixes it no problem.

However there seems to be no manual equivalent in aticonfig or certainly not in the linux CCC. Like I said the only commands that even work I mentioned above and they somehow crash X to a black screen on reboot.

I originally theorized this was strictly an HDMI problem, so after a few weeks of living with a VGA connection (which would be fine if my goal wasn't HD video playback) I came into a DVI -> HDMI cable. Hoping beyond hope that there was some secret DVI support I wasn't aware of. It's the same problem. Maybe some secret conflict with the xorg.0.log I'm not aware of or my lack of sacrificial lambs, chickens, or children. heh...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The linux ati driver is still very much a work in progress and the Catalyst Control Center even more so. The driver is ahead of the CCC so you need to use the command line utility aticonfig to access these functions.

Ati should have bitstream HD support in the driver by the jan or feb driver release. Some of the libs have been in the driver now for the last few releases so it is coming very soon along with a better CCC.

Flickering and tearing, while reduced, will not be completely solved until DRI2 is released with the new xserver 1.0.16 which will be incorporated into Ubuntu 9.04 which will be released in April. DRI2 was originally scheduled to be released last june but was held up due to some sudden changes by Intel that needed to be incorporated.

Beans

Smile Re: ATI integrated 3200 underscan

Quote Originally Posted by khmr33 View Post
    same problem here

only solution I've found to underscan was

Code:
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:SizeX=1920
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:SizeY=1080
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:PositionX=0
    #$ sudo aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2:PositionY=0
    this "fixes" the underscan until reboot... then X crashes and I can't log in. I have to boot into recovery, fix X, then redo fglrx, then black borders reappear.

This ONLY happens with my HDMI connection. If I switch to VGA and reinstall FGLRX everything works fine... I can even get flicker free fullscreen video in compiz fusion.

Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
    Samsung LN52A650
    I have the exact same experience, but have found a workaround that works for me, so I thought I'd share this.
    the above commands I have put in a script that runs automatically when my X session starts. (System->Settings->Sessions).
    So this fixes my screen so it's fullscreen, but to avoid the X crashing at reboot I made this little workaround:
    before I run the ati-config the first time, I take a copy of the amdpcsdb:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.working
    Then I but another script in /etc/init.d/ called restore-ati-config.sh:
    Code:
    #/bin/sh
    cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.working /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
    that will copy amdpcsdb.working to amdpcsdb.
    Then I linked this into rcS.d:
    Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/restore-ati-config.sh /etc/rcS.d/S50restore-ati-config.sh
    Now this will be run in Singe User Mode during boot, before X is started.

This avoids the crash for me. Would be interesting to know if this works for anyone else? Also this is maybe not the best workaround, but it works for now.
    When are ATI going to give us real divers and utilities on Linux? This
    same issue was easy to fix in windows ccc (the underscan/overscan slider).

And also I want to thank you for theese commands, without them I've never worked it out. Was almost gonna go for windows when this saved my Ubuntu installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Have you reported this to ati?
    It is difficult for them to fix things they do not know about but they are very good about fixing things they do know.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks,
    This fixed it for me, running Arch Linux 64 bit w/ fglrx 8.56.4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast