Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Startup disc creator

Beans

Re: Startup disc creator

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I edit the partition table (create an MSDOS or GUID partiiton table) at the top. I edit a partition and try to edit its file system below the graph of the 'volumes'. See the attachment.
    Here's there is nothing at the top as far as edit (scr.3), there is below, though it, (the input box & drop down appear 'blank', I've got to scroll way down.
    scr. 1

And as far as a Sdc created one, - you'd try this on both partitions?
    scr.2 highlight on Efi part.
    Last edited by mc4man; April 9th, 2016 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes the 'Format Disk' option that you see in attachment #3 (in post #121).

I have tried with Lubuntu i386 - it looks slightly different from yours, I guess you have an amd64 system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yes the 'Format Disk' option that you see in attachment #3 (in post #121).

I have tried with Lubuntu i386 - it looks slightly different from yours, I guess you have an amd64 system.
    Ok, I was able to turn that drive back to FAT with Disks, no errors or crashes, no problems writing to. But the method is too obscure to be considered for general use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

So here it is bottom to top, ie.
    In bottom highlight each of the 2 partitions in turn > click on that config icon > edit partition > click on drop down > scroll down & pick one of the Windows FAT32, here used 0x0b. Then back to top > hamburger menu > Format Disk.. >
    If Mbr/Dos is picked it ends up unallocated anyway so picked "No Partitioning" > when done > then picked (FAT) & all is ok

Edit: So I don't think the specific picks above matter, it just the process which is -
    1. Change both partitions
    2. Format the disk
    3. Format (partition) the disk
    Last edited by mc4man; April 9th, 2016 at 03:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I think the general trend is towards sufficiency and not much detail in the GUI when it comes to functionality. One would think that , since these methods are how we install and distribute ubuntu to other machines, that there would be more traditional ubuntu guides, buttons and whistles to help us get along.

From a programming perspective when considering efficiency, some might consider these apps masterpieces.

regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

Second workaround: gnome-disks works if wiping the whole device (in the format menu) before creating the partition and file system. But this is very slow.

It should be enough to wipe the first megabyte (actually mibibyte 1024x1024 bytes) which takes less than 1 second compared to 6-16 minutes to wipe the whole device in typical 4 GB pendrives. Wiping the whole device is also causing unnecessary wear of the flash hardware.

It is possible to do it stepwise. First the partition is created and in the next step the file system.

The tools are there but the internal work flow is buggy. Average users will give up long before they have explored all the alternatives.

-o-

Third workaround: It works with root privileges, but I guess this is not what the developers want

Code:
    sudo -H gnome-disks
    First 'Format disk' to create a new partition table, then 'Create partition in unallocated place' at the plus sign.

This works for me in the current Lubuntu Xenial i386 daily iso file.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 13th, 2016 at 10:21 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I discovered another bug in gnome-disks, which is intended for restoring drives to mass storage devices.

It is straight-forward to install from a compressed image file from http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/uefi-n-bios/ with mkusb or mkusb-nox. I tried in Lubuntu Xenial daily to restore disk image with gnome-disks but it considered the size to be 3.5 GB, when it was 12 GB, so the image was truncated, Bug #1571255

See this link: gnome-disks truncates a huge image when restoring to a drive from xz-compressed image file

Please mark 'affects me too' if it does

-o-

Edit: This bug affects Lubuntu Xenial i386 but not amd64.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 17th, 2016 at 01:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMecanic View Post
    . ...Every time I do a fresh install, I always pass by Try Ubuntu and search Gparted in Dash to delete Ubuntu partitions. That way, I always do a fresh install on an empty hard drive disk.

Cheers,
    I've been on Ubuntu running (or trying to) development starting with Dapper Drake.

Typically I may have on the hard/ssd disk at least 4 partitions, two to alternate test iso's, one that works i.e. 14.04, and an archive with saved files ...
    Therefore I use the format in the install process since I'm installing on a partition and don't want to clobber the other three.

Lately the native hard/ssd drive has Windows 10 on it so I can help my wife who uses commercial software not available on linux.

All my testing is done booting a USB SSD drive runs just fine thanks. This is on a desktop, a 15" laptop, and a 13" laptop all three with the same setup.

And yes I install gparted as part of my setup exec. BTW I do an install every few weeks looking for bugs and manual updates most days.

Beans

Re: unity8 (mediascanner.service)

Have also noticed if unity8 (mediasource.service) is installed then boot usb's can be an issue formatting as the service is busy on them.
    Eventually it either releases or can be worked thru, & unity8 currently is worthless anyway

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213