Page 17 of 184 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

I tried updating the driver, that didn't work, maybe i did something wrong, it didn't create the ra0 device.

Updating the kernel worked though!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KwukDuck View Post
    Updating the kernel worked though!
    I added kernel 2.6.34-020634-generic but I now have no wireless connection, which will seriously impede any attempts to test the kernel (which is running fine so far) because I have to work too. Trying to get a USB wireless dongle (which is supported by an installed and free driver) to run now.

EDIT: I had a choice of wireless drivers, and the "free" (actually uses a nonfree firmware file) driver works fine - so I am writing from kernel 2.6.34 with functional wireless - let's see if this one runs without a freeze.

To test this kernel's stability, does anyone have an action that repeatably and reliably freezes their system? The bug report https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14543 had a script that did not freeze my affected system, so it would be great if anyone could improve on that and develop a "kill" script.
    Last edited by StuartN; May 20th, 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by StuartN View Post
    I added kernel 2.6.34-020634-generic
    compiled by yourself or found on some ubuntu repo?

sorry about your question but my ubuntu freezes totally randomly

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by breek View Post
    compiled by yourself or found on some ubuntu repo?

sorry about your question but my ubuntu freezes totally randomly
    The kernel is from the Ubuntu mainline at http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...v2.6.34-lucid/ and installed using the instructions from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/MainlineBuilds (which are very straightforward). It should be added to your grub2 menu automatically, but that did not work for me on my legacy grub.

(I am keeping notes, including these instructions, at http://www.iol.ie/~stuartneilson/Bootup_fsck.html).

As regards the freezing, yes it does appear totally random, but if someone can write a script that reliably causes a freeze on affected systems, then it would help diagnose this problem. The script on https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14543 is not freezing my affected (kernel 2.6.32) system, but might be a starting point.

Beans

Hello,

Let me also jump in. I have the random freezes as well.
    This is a new machine with a fresh kubuntu 10.04 install on it. I didn't install any other than "end user" packages (so no drivers), did no tinkering in any setting other than trough system settings etc.

What happens is that I can still move my mouse cursor, but other than that, no response at all - (edit): SysRq+b keeps working (and I hope / assume S and U as well)

My freezes:
    - mostly random
    - 1 case: left the pc on overnight to copy 110 gb from an external hard drive to internal. No crash - afterward, within 10 minutes of use: freeze.
    - one day later, I was doing the same (different data) and it froze. However, I noticed that the hard drive light was still occasionally flashing. But I left it for a while and the copy wasn't finished.
    - Today, I was watching the tv news via a webstream, via VLC. My box froze, but the audio kept playing, for some 10 minutes (then I rebooted) - that is way longer than the buffered amount can be IMHO, so appearently my pc kept receiving network data and decoding it.
    - CPU temp usually is around 37-40 C (allways, both when freezing and not)

Hardware specs (related to things being said on this thread)
    -Intel core i7 860
    -Asus p7h55d pro motherboard
    -MSI VN210 MDh12H (gforce 210) graphics card (where can I see what driver that uses?)
    -1 hard drive (1 tb Samsung hd), with the / formatted as ext4
    -optical sata drive on same sata channel as hard drive
    -the mobo supports 4 DIMMS, I have 3 2 GB DIMMS (in one kit), 2 on channel 1, 1 on channel 2.

I have just after the latest freeze tried to:
    - remove 1 DIMM so I have only 4GB, one on each channel
    - remove the optical drive's SATA. Now, only my hard drive is connected (no IDE devices as well)

Let's see what this brings. If freezes, I need to read a manual and turn off acpi, though I really want that.

Tijmen
    Update - nope, removing the ram and unplugging the optical's SATA didn't work - same freeze, again playing media which' audio kept playing. Next will be disabling ACPI - but not now, need to sleep.
    Last edited by IIVQ; May 20th, 2010 at 08:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As I wrote some posts earlier I get no freezes but..
    today I tried installing some mysql client/server stuff and got weird terminal-timeouts errors. It could be caused (what they write in https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14543) by remounting the filesystem to readonly (not everytime -> random)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As I wrote some posts earlier I get no freezes but..
    today I tried installing some mysql client/server stuff and got weird terminal-timeouts errors. It could be caused (what they write in https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14543) by remounting the filesystem to readonly (not everytime -> random)

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by IIVQ View Post
    However, I noticed that the hard drive light was still occasionally flashing
    In my case, while frozen, hdd diode was burning still -> (hdd hanged up ?)

sorry for 2 same posts
    Last edited by fx69; May 20th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I was getting very hopeful. I had left the laptop on over night and it was still responsive in the morning.

This afternoon, I came home from work and it was still responding. So far, so good!

However, within a few minutes of use, the laptop froze up on me. I noticed a ton of disk activity.

Running top, I see that x.org is at 100% of CPU:

I was still able to login via ssh and reboot it. This happened a few minutes later when I was launching VirtualBox (Windows 7 guest).

I also attached my .xsession-errors file.
    Last edited by PerfectReign; May 21st, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
    kai
    The Content Management and Workflow Forum: http://www.ecmplace.com
    a turn signal is a statement, not a request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try to update xorg. I've done that and maybe it got rid of freezing with my pc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fx69 View Post
    Try to update xorg. I've done that and maybe it got rid of freezing with my pc.
    Just wondering: from / to what version?

Page 17 of 184 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast