Thread: Drivers for a Atheros AR8132 Ethernet card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Drivers for a Atheros AR8132 Ethernet card

My brother brought me a Toshiba P505-S8980 with Windows 7 (64 bit) on it and I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on it, after much trial, and trying to find a edition of the distro that had a compatible graphics driver and resolution. That finaly worked, but now my issue is that I can't find a driver for the Ethernet card (Atheros AR8132) and though I found a driver for the WLAN card, it still doesn't connect. I have heard that there are proprietary drivers available in a couple of repositories for the Atheros card, but I cant connect the machine to the internet, so that doesn't help, and the drivers I have found that are said to be available for the card are either incompatible or uncompilable. Can anyone help?
    The more you use Linux: the better it gets. The more you use Windows: the less you want to use it.
    -Me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Drivers for a Atheros AR8132 Ethernet card

Are you tried with the in installation of software driver GUI in Gnome? I think Ubuntu should suggestion some driver to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Which GUI are you referring to?
    The more you use Linux: the better it gets. The more you use Windows: the less you want to use it.
    -Me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I mean, the properties driver. In System -> Administration -> Propertie Drivers. I don't remember very well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes I have tried that, but as I said in my first post, that wont work because I am not connected to the internet.
    -Me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What ubuntu , are You use :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/415358

they said: Impact: Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter fails to operate
    in Jaunty due to the lack of driver support.

Fix: Backport the atl1c driver from Karmic back to Jaunty.
    Last edited by Sylslay; February 15th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Hi, don't know if you're still having this issue, but in case you or anyone else is:

OP said he was using 9.10, although also said he searched for an "edition of the distro" that supports his hardware (not sure what that means). Anyhow, I'm surprised that 9.10 didn't work out-of-the-box for AR8132 since I believe that that the _desktop_ installation media contains a working driver (atl1c). If not, 10.04 does. In both cases, however, you either must install from the so-called "desktop" installation media, or if installing from "alternate" media, apply the work-around listed in bug #557130:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/557130

Once you've installed, connect to internet using a wire, and let the GUI install the proprietary wireless drivers if necessary, as was previously posted here; from then on, failure to connect via wireless is likely not a driver issue, but something else.

Hope that helps.