Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to disable suspend / screen blank when lid closes ?

Beans

How to disable suspend / screen blank when lid closes ?

I want to disable suspend/ screen blank so that the laptop (ASUS F6J running Karmic 9.10) remains on once the lid is closed. I use a monitor plugged into the laptop when I work at home and want to stack the laptop on a small shelf. I use the machine on ac power all the time to am not worried about batteries. I have switched of the laptop screen in System/Preferences/Display but naturally enough it still suspends when the lid is closed. If possible it would be best if the screen remain off while the machine is running with the lid down.I have been able to to this using FreeBSD and did not encounter any overheating problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to disable suspend / screen blank when lid closes ?

Look in:

System/Preferences/Power Management

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    Look in:

System/Preferences/Power Management
    No this doesn't do it, it offers Blank Screen, Suspend, Hibernate or Shut Down. I want to prevent any of these happening when I shut the lid, in other words I want isolate the lid switch in some way. 'Blank Screen' blanks all displays I want to use a separate monitor while the lid is closed.
    Last edited by birdy62; March 31st, 2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by birdy62 View Post
    No this doesn't do it, it offers Blank Screen, Suspend, Hibernate or Shut Down. I want to prevent any of these happening when I shut the lid, in other words I want isolate the lid switch in some way. 'Blank Screen' blanks all displays I want to use a separate monitor while the lid is closed.
    On my laptop it offers the option of "do nothing".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

By default the option is removed, i cant remember off the top of my head how to do it. Ill have a look around, i found it before

[edit]

Code:
    gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac "nothing"
    That should add the option, When laptop lid in closed "Do nothing"

Im 90% sure this is what i did, i have a feeling you cant use gconf GUI to do this though. Let me know if it works or not
    Last edited by burton247; March 31st, 2010 at 07:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by burton247 View Post
    By default the option is removed, i cant remember off the top of my head how to do it. Ill have a look around, i found it before

[edit]

Code:
    gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac "nothing"
    That should add the option, When laptop lid in closed "Do nothing"

Im 90% sure this is what i did, i have a feeling you cant use gconf GUI to do this though. Let me know if it works or not
    I ran the above code via a terminal, it did not work. But no error message. Also there was no request to authenticate either, wouldn't this sort of command generate a request for authentication? I tried to find the directory "/apps" it does not exist on my file system. However the directory ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-power-manager exists. What do you think about the following command?
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --type string --set ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac "nothing"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hmmm...I dont know about that, have you restarted your system, or at least x?

I'll see if i can find where i put my mine, need to boot up ubuntu, and I've just installed windows7 so need to fix grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That was easy, back already

I've realised this will only give the option for when your laptop lid is closed and on the mains. The option wont be there if running it on battery.

Code:
    gconftool-2 --type string --set ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_battery "nothing"
    That should add it to the battery menu.

If you were on ac power or it hasnt worked i suggest you look at the keys there.

Run
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    then navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/

if the key "lid_ac" and value "nothing" is there is should work
    or "lid_battery" and "nothing"

or both, depending on the functionality you require

Beans

Thanks, that did it, I wanted the functionality with ac power. Setting it in gconf-editor was successful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know why the command didn't work, oh well. Glad it's sorted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast