Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

OMG, I'm up running with Hardy now
    No IDE to RAID switch, nor enabling the floppy drive (I disabled it again).

Using the desktop live cd, what did the trick for me was adding
    Code:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll
    to the boot options when pressing F6. I can't tell if you really need all three options. I'm just happy to be up running

Hope this may help someone - good luck to everyone.

Beans

ok my hardy heron seems to work now, too!

all the bootoptions did not help. what i did was that i put my cd-writer from primary slave to secondary slave, and everything worked fine. i really don't know why. maybe this can help someone.

no i've got my dvd-rom on primary master and the cd-writer on secondary slave (i have to change the jumpers to get it on master), and my harddisk on the s-ata port. maybe the dvd-rom and cd-writer interfered somehow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hi all

ive been trying for days to get HH on my PC. i have an ASUS A8V-VM with a SATA drive as primary with XP pro. i installed HH within windows and rebooted. got the fd0 error and eneded up at initramfs. i went into bios and disabled the floppy which isnt connected anyway. reboot and select ubuntu and hit esc for menu and then 'e' to edit. to the second line of the 3 presented i added pci=nomsi enter then b to boot. HH then did its install yayyyyyyyyyyyy it rebooted...........initramfs boooooooo!!!!
    so i reboot and go into the menu again and once more i enter the pci=nomsi. boot and good god!!! its in and on!!!!! now i must stress im a novice and its only reading in this forum thats helped plus a bit of lucky guess work. i didnt really know where to type the pci=nomsi for sure and until i reboot the PC i dont know if ill need to do it again. anyone know?? glad to say the wireless internet access has worked within seconds of HH coming on. BTW last night i cocked it right up and trashed my HDD so i was up till3 oclock this morning reinstalling XP and all the drivers and software. so fingers crossed i have a dual boot system.
    all being well ive got a bit of a steep learning curve ahead.
    good luck to all dont give up, if a numpty like me can get this far theres hope for us all.........poor bill gates mwahahahaha!

regards

Fenris

Beans

I had the busybox thing come up on me too. I could switch screens and the boot stuff told me a UUID could not be found. I tried some of the things posted here and nothing helped. I booted a live cd to see what was up and it told me the drive I tried to install to had a bad superblock. I was using 7.10 with that drive no problems, but it's an older IDE 60gb drive.

I solved my problem by installing on a 320gb SATA drive where windows xp used to be. I figured I haven't used it in months and if I need it I'll try to install it on the other disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

works for me now, only thing needed was irqpoll...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i think it is the something wrong with the kernel. i updated from gutsy and i got the same thing as the live cd, busy box. the alt. cd didnt work either cause it coudnt find my either HDD. i seem to remember this problem with i think it was 7.04 also. anyways, so the 2.6.24 kernel didnt boot right, but i can boot just fine with the old 2.6.22 kernel. go figure.

Beans

Jong:

Thanks so much! Your suggestion did the trick. I did need all three since I also got the Ultra-DMA I/O error as mat.wojcik on post #43 in this discussion. I did an install using those options to boot the LiveCD, and I did not need to edit my menu.lst file after installation to boot from the hard drive. Also, I am using an Asus A8N-8X Deluxe motherboard with an Athlon 64 (I installed the x64 version of Hardy) with only one SATA drive.

-d0t

Beans
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong View Post
    OMG, I'm up running with Hardy now
    No IDE to RAID switch, nor enabling the floppy drive (I disabled it again).

Using the desktop live cd, what did the trick for me was adding
    Code:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll
    to the boot options when pressing F6. I can't tell if you really need all three options. I'm just happy to be up running

Hope this may help someone - good luck to everyone.
    Thanks Jong, I believe I tried them switchs stand-alone and got no where. However I tried all 3 in the same order you did and am 61% into the install now. Wish me luck, I'll update more after I verify a good reboot or three.

by the way my floppy is enabled in bios, (I did no bios changes) I may go back and see if I can narrow down or shorten it, but im smiling now!
    Last edited by Gentleman83301; April 27th, 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Beans

Me too, I have written to beginners forum but all I got was advice to reburn the CD for the third time....

Beans

All hail the powerful wizard Jong for his secret knowledge of the incantation: "F6, all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" to pass through the locked gates of UBUNTU installation!

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast